Dumb Question About 2 Layer Cakes

Decorating By thegrrrl Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 6:31am by calivettie

thegrrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thegrrrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 9

When you do two tiered cakes, do you always dowel and use cardboard, or whatever kind of supports? Or is a two layer cake ok without supports?

Dumb question, I know.

8 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #2 of 9

Not a dumb question at all. Everyone has their way of doing things and it's great to hear ideas about different techniques. That's how we all learn neat little tricks.

I personally always dowel my tiers and place them on cakeboards, even cakes that are only 2 tiers high.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #3 of 9

A 2-layer cake is fine without supports.

A 2-tier cake, which is usually composed of two 2-layer cakes, needs supports.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #4 of 9

Always use some sort of support... you MIGHT be okay without it, but do you really want to risk all of your hard work over something so simple?

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #5 of 9

If I stack cakes, I will put the top cake on a cake board and use dowel under it.

It its a really small top layer 4-6 inches I don't though.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #6 of 9

Sometimes its tempting.. but do you really want to risk your cake having the dreaded buldges or worse yet falling and breaking apart? TO MUCH TIME In my cakes to take a chance.. SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT... icon_smile.gif SOUND LIKE A BRA SALESPERSON HUH... HAHAHAH icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

thegrrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thegrrrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone!! I always do use supports, but I was wondering if I needed them. Sounds like I do!

Thanks!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #8 of 9

I always keep in mind too that its not just support (although that's the most important) but its also serving. Its very difficult to serve a cake that is four layers high with nothing seperating the layers! Even in 3D or carved cakes I try to seperate every 4-6 inches for support AND cutting purposes.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:31am
post #9 of 9

Very true Kitagrl,

I have made mini tiered cakes, and although I put a straw in there, there is no cardboard between the layers and it can get very messy and not pretty at all.
So, I can only imagine what it may be like in a regular sized tiered cake. Yuck!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%