Painting On Fondant?

Decorating By kakbarker Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 3:17am by specialtdesserts

kakbarker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 6

How can I paint leopard/cheetah spots on fondant? I tried to roll brown and black fondant into fondant but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I asked my teacher and she really didn't know!?!

5 replies
levinea Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #2 of 6

I would tint the fondant a light golden brown color, and then paint different sized and shaped spots on in a darker brown. Do a smudgy outline around the spots in black. That sounds like leopard print to me. For a cheetah, paint round black spots in various sizes on brown fondant (but again, kind of smudgy, not perfect circles).

ETA: paint with gel food colors thinned with vodka or extract, or the powdered colorings mixed with vodka or extract. The more liquid/extract, the thinner (and more transparent) the color. Less liquid = stronger, more opaque color.

kakbarker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 6

Is the Wilton decorating gel the gel you are talking about? The one in the tube? Or is there something else?
None of the 4 classes I have taken said anything about vodka. What is this about?

specialtdesserts Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #4 of 6

That's what i would do, too. If you need some visual inspiration, just check out the gallery--there are leopard cakes this that use this technique.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 6

I actually love painting with airbrush colors, I feel they dry the best. Even if you don't have an airbrush, the colors work great. But second best is the Wilton colors thinned a bit with something alcohol, like lemon or clear vanilla extract.

I have a cheetah cake in my pix. I airbrushed it though, then handpainted the black on using airbrush colors and a paintbrush.

specialtdesserts Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #6 of 6

No, not the decorating gel in the tube.

We are talking about the gel colors that you use to color your frosting--in the little jars. They mix better with vodka (Although, I have used water and it worked fine for what I had to do) For the colors you're using, adding a small amount of vanilla would work without altering the color too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%