Sheet Cake Help?!?

Decorating By Cyndi1207 Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 1:28am by fiddlesticks

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #1 of 16

A repeat customer called me today to request a cake for someone else. They want a full sheet cake with a #1 on top for a first birthday. They said they needed 150 servings. Since, I do sheet cakes just about.....never.......I told her I would get back to her with the quote so that I wouldn't give an impulsive one that would lead me to kick myself later.......been there done that.

Anywho, so to get an idea of sheet prices I called the most popular bakery in town (after Oct. 1st -when my doors open up it will be the second most popular----okay so I'm full of myself) they quoted me a full sheet cake for $65.99 and that it would give 96 servings. So I asked if that was a single or double layer and the girl responded saying that it didn't make a difference that it would give the same # of servings...... icon_confused.gif ......huh???? I'm confused. Can someone please explain this to me? If that's the case does that mean that they're willing to throw in the second layer for free? I didn't ask. I should have.

Anyhow, I would greatly appreciate some input on this. I do have several 11" X 15" pans. Is a full sheet just two of those? Sorry if I sound stupid......obviously I'm out of my element. Those of you that do both sheets and tiered cakes how do you price them differently?

Sorry its long and thanks for any help that you can provide.

15 replies
Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 16

I am not an expert in this cake business. So, I could be wrong but full sheet is two 12 X18 put together. 12 X 18 is half sheet. I think a full sheet serves around 108 servings of 2 X 2 X 2 each.

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:35am
post #3 of 16

These sizes were given to me by my wilton instructor: 9x13= 1/4 sheet, 11x15= 1/2 sheet, 12x18= full sheet. She never mentioned putting them side by side. I hope I was of some help.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 16

Here is the serving chart I use... sheet cakes are on the bottom thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:43am
post #5 of 16

Just stop using those stupid labels of "half" and "full" sheet cake.

She needs cake to serve 150. That's all you have to know.

A 12x18, single layer, when cut in the standard 2x2x2" piece, means the cake will be cut in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 servings. Two of them side by side will yield 108. So three of these will yield 162 servings.

If you put two of them on top of each other (double layer cake) and cut them in the standard 1x2x4" piece, then the cake will be cut in approx 12 rows by 9 columns = 108 servings. Oh Look! The same as two of them side by side! (the clerk at the bakery is an idiot!)

I refuse to deal with those terms that everyone throws around but nobody knows what they heck they mean. So I have zero stress on that point of cake ordering. I throw it back at them..... when they ask for a "full sheet", I ask them "How big is that?" Know what the answer ALWAYS is?

"I don't know". icon_confused.gif

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #6 of 16

Anybody else having problems downloading the chart?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #7 of 16

For me two 12x18,s ( single layer) side x side would be a full sheet. And I would not sell it for that price either!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #8 of 16

If you can't open it it's also on my website icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #9 of 16

indydebi ... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #10 of 16

I put 2 11x15's together to get a "full" sheet - usually it's 1/2 & 1/2. I can get about 70 servings, single layer. If they want just one flavor, suggest making a 2-layer - perhaps 2 12x18's stacked. And you will need more cake than just the two 12x18's, anyway. You won't cut it the same as a single layer, so the gal at the bakery you called is a little nuts.
For me, when someone wants a sheetcake for that many, I offer them 3 12x18's - single layers. One could be the "center display" cake, the other two scored so they know where to cut - thus making sure they have enuf cake! icon_smile.gif

AmyCakes2 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:53am
post #11 of 16

I agree with you, indydebi! Everytime they ask for a "half" or "full" sheet - I tell them to just tell me how many they need to serve and go from there. icon_smile.gif
Still drives me nuts, tho....

Cyndi1207 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #12 of 16

Well, actually, she told me she needed a full sheet cake to which I replied well how many servings exactly do you need. Good thing too because they would have fallen short some cake there.......1/3 short of what they needed. Thanks for the help everyone!!! I've been getting a lot of requests for these huge cakes for baby birthday parties. I don't even know that many people.

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #13 of 16

Thats what I ask to, How many do you need to feed !And the size cake they end up with is always different then what they were asking for !

Cyndi1207 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyCakes2

I put 2 11x15's together to get a "full" sheet - usually it's 1/2 & 1/2. I can get about 70 servings, single layer. If they want just one flavor, suggest making a 2-layer - perhaps 2 12x18's stacked. And you will need more cake than just the two 12x18's, anyway. You won't cut it the same as a single layer, so the gal at the bakery you called is a little nuts.
For me, when someone wants a sheetcake for that many, I offer them 3 12x18's - single layers. One could be the "center display" cake, the other two scored so they know where to cut - thus making sure they have enuf cake! icon_smile.gif

Usually I'm not a big fan of "kitchen cakes" but in this case I wouldn't mind just making one of them like you mentioned and scoring the rest. Thanks for the idea!!

Fiddlesticks-$65.99 less than $1 per serving icon_confused.gif
Momma has kids to feed. That can't fly with me.

AmyCakes2 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #15 of 16

I do sheet cakes ALL THE TIME. Around here, it's just easier and what shall I say - more accepted?? I look at them as a blank canvas, the bigger the area, the more I have to work with. Occasionally I get an order for a "shaped" cake - circle, square, tiered....but not as often as the infamous sheet cake.
Good luck!

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #16 of 16

Cyndi1207... Yes thats a crazy price for sure !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%