12X18 Half Chocolate Half Yellow?

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 12:14am by nutcase68

shannon100 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a 12x18 cake that's half chocolate half yellow. (2 inch pan, 1 layer) I've read that it takes 3 cake mixes to fill a 12x18 pan. What's the way to do that with 2 flavors but making them equal sizes? If I used an extender recipe, will it stretch it out enough to fill the pan with just 2 box mixes?

The extender I was thinking about using is "1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sourcream (you can add yogurt) 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 tsp salt and 1 egg. added to the ingredients listed on the box. "

Or is there a better way to do it? If it helps, I prefer using betty crocker.

(I don't want to try another scratch cake. Every time I make them, they are way too dense for my taste, so I really want to use a doctored mix.)

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Lady_Phoenix Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 5

I use WASC to make 12 x 18s. It takes 2 mixes. Just make each batter and pour them into a bowl or pitcher. Slowly pour them in at the same time, starting on each end. The batters will meet in the middle but not mix. My grandsons love when i marble the 2 flavors in the middle. icon_biggrin.gif

aztomcat Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:12am
post #3 of 5

The extender adds about 2 cups of mix.

mgdsue02 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #4 of 5

The recipe here( http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-0-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html )says 2 boxes mix doctored makes one 12 x 18 cake. So it would follow that if you did 1 box mix of chocolate doctored it would fill 1/2 of the pan and one box mix yellow doctored would fill the other half. Hope that helps.

nutcase68 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

I also use wasc, a half recipe for each flavor. I then stick the cake box under one end of my pan and pour in the first batter. I mix the second batter. I take out the box, but hold up the pan and start to pour in the batter. As it fills the pan in lower the pan. You will be able to tell.
Mary

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%