Icing Color Fading Or Seeping Into White

Decorating By CountryCakes2007 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 6:09pm by CountryCakes2007

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 13

I have had several cakes that I have iced white and did the writing and border in color and it faded or seeped into the white part! Help!! icon_cry.gif Does anyone know why this would happen?

12 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 13

What are you using to ice the cake?

CountryCakes2007 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 13

I use buttercream icing made with shortening no butter.

Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 13

I and others have had issues with Crisco shortening. Since they went trans-fat free, my BC "sweats", on hot humid days. I have had some of the darker colors bleed onto the white, so I'm not sure if this is the same cause of your issue.

I've tried a lot of different recipes from CC, with not much better luck. I did order the Angel White Icing Stabilizer which helps take the greasiness out of BC icing and also adds flavor. I used Luby's BC recipe from CC recipes, it calls for Brite White Icing Stabilizer, which is basically the same type of product. I liked the results, the icing was definitely like my old BC before the Crisco change.

I ordered it from s u g a r c r a f t . com

HTH

CountryCakes2007 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 13

I have a problem also with the colors not wanting to mix up good. Thank you for your help!!

maryindublin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryindublin Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 13

Does it only bleed when it's been refrigerated then comes to room temp? I noticed that my commercial freezer & fridge at the cafe for some reason make terrible condensation on my FBCT and refrigerated cakes. My fridge and freezer at home don't do that.

CountryCakes2007 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #7 of 13

I don't put them in the fridge b/c of that. I had one put in a walk in freezer and a home fridge and they both bled from i guess condensation. This just doesn't bleed out very far and doesn't seem to be b/c it is too wet. I really can't figure out why unless it's the Crisco like you said or maybe humidity.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:57am
post #8 of 13

How well is your icing crusting? Because I use crisco exclusively with no problems. If the icing is "wet" and then you are adding "wet" icing to it, I can see how the colors might bleed. but if the base icing has crusted, it should be ok.

Deb_ Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

How well is your icing crusting? Because I use crisco exclusively with no problems. If the icing is "wet" and then you are adding "wet" icing to it, I can see how the colors might bleed. but if the base icing has crusted, it should be ok.

indydebi, I have an ivory all BC wedding cake with a deep wine color scrollwork on the sides of the tiers coming up. I am so worried that the deep color of the scrolls will bleed into the ivory.
Would you let the ivory crust before piping the scrolls or should I do the scrolls before it crusts?
It's been kind of humid here and the delivery is about 50 miles.

I've been holding myself back from calling the bride and asking her if I can do the scrolls in ivory too, just to be safe. The gumpaste roses will be the wine color and also wine color ribbon on the bottom of each tier. I'm probably overthinking this and stressing for no reason, right?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 13

Yes, I'd let the icing crust. I did a white-iced cake, with gray/silver scrolls and they didnt' bleed. I made orange rosebuds right on the cake ... no bleeding.

CountryCakes2007 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 13

Indydebi do you use buttercream or crusting buttercream? What recipe if you don't mind me asking?

Deb_ Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Yes, I'd let the icing crust. I did a white-iced cake, with gray/silver scrolls and they didnt' bleed. I made orange rosebuds right on the cake ... no bleeding.

Awesome, thanks so much thumbs_up.gif

Countrycakes: indydebi has a crusting BC recipe here on CC. Just go to recipes and do a search for BC.....the recipe name is Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing HTH

CountryCakes2007 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks dkelly27!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%