Biggest Loser Fans...

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 2:54am by charlieinMO

TexasSugar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 14

New season starts Tuesday, September 16.

This is one of my favorite reality shows because they actually have to do hard work and in the long run are doing something to help make their lives better.

Sadly I teach class on Tuesday's now. So unless I can find someone that can tape it for me I will miss it. But I thought I would share with others that are interested in it. icon_smile.gif

13 replies
charlieinMO Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 14

I can't wait!! I love that show. I would really like to go on it someday icon_surprised.gif but I am afraid they might Kill me!!

sarahpierce Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 14

Go to to see if you can watch it online the next day. I do this with a lot of tv shows. The commercials are also very limited, which is nice. thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 14

I'll have to try that out. Also need to remember to pick up some vidoe tapes from Walmart and see if my mom can tape it for me. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the info. I love Biggest Loser, it inspired me to lose 85lbs. 2 yrs ago and I've kept it off too. Someday when I get computer smart I'll post my before and after pics.

I never realized the weight had piled on over the years. When I started feeling horrible I went for a physical, I couldn't believe my eyes when I stepped on the scale and the nurse had to add another 50lb weight because I was over 200lbs. I weighed 209lbs., and I'm only 5' 3". I noticed when I got in my car that the doctor had checked off "obese" under her diagnosis. I had never thought of myself as obese, my husband always complemented me even at my heaviest.
Well, I sat in my car and cried and from that moment on I haven't put fast food or anything deep fried in my mouth. I joined weight watchers on-line with my hubby and we lost the weight together. I went from a size 16 to a size 4/6 and I've never felt better. Now I can look forward to playing with my grandkids someday.

The Biggest Loser is an awesome tool to help anybody get serious about committing to changing your life for the better, that's what it is....a life change not a diet. Diets never worked for me, I always gained the weight back.

charlieinMO Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 14

Congrats!!! That is wonderful that you lost that weight and have kept it off!! I have been doing weight watchers for a little while now. Have been in a rut. gotta get myself back in gear!

Deb_ Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 14

I think Weight Watchers is a great diet, it's fairly easy to incorporate it into meal planning for the rest of the family also.

Something that helped me stay motivated was, I taped my "Obesity" diagnosis form on my refrigerator, along with a picture of myself before I put on all the weight. I took it one day at a time and one pound at a time, it took me about 13 months to take off all the weight, some weeks I lost just 1lb., and that was so hard to accept. But, all those 1lb. losses added up to a lot in the end. It is better to lose it slowly.

I am not the type that enjoys exercising at all. My husband and I would commit to a 30 min. walk 3 or 4 times a week. That's the only exercise I did, for me it was changing my eating habits.

One thing I did was allow myself a "diet free" day on the weekend. I wouldn't just eat everything I wanted, but if I wanted an ice cream cone or a margarita or both, I had it. Than, the next day I got back on track. That free day helped me through the week, knowing I could enjoy whatever I wanted at the end of the week. It was my reward.

Also, I drink a lot of water, no soft drinks at all. I brush and floss my teeth after dinner, and this helps me to not eat again. That was a big problem in the past with me, snacking in front of the T.V.

Good luck with Weight Watchers, watch Biggest Loser, it really motivated us, and take one day at a time. If you have a bad day, don't worry just start fresh the next day.

Marksgirl Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 14

I just love Biggest Loser too! I just love Bob icon_wink.gif

charlieinMO Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for the info. I like the taping the picture on the frig and the idea of brushing your teath right after dinner! I did lose 25 lbs and I truly think the part that helped the MOST was letting go of the (Sonic) diet coke! It was hard but I think it helped a lot. Thanks again and sorry everyone to hijack the thread!

lisad1 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:32am
post #10 of 14

TexasSugar do you have cable? Because for about $5 more a month you can get an option for a DVR. Which is like TIVO. It's the greastest thing. you can tape all your shows, and it is sooooo easy to program. I work night tour right now, and I tape everything! It also saves time, because you can fast forward through commercials. I can watch 3 hrs worth of programming in a half the time. Love it!

Also really like Biggest Loser, it is pretty inspirational. I started watching last season because my nephew's cousin Nichole was on it. She really did great, I was very proud of her! (She is the one who chipped her tooth diving into the pool). Anyway, she was able to keep the weight off. So the show really does teach them the tools to maintain that lose! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 14

DKelly, Congrats! It is great to hear about real people losing weight and keeping it off.

...committing to changing your life for the better, that's what it is....a life change not a diet.

I completely and totally agree with this. And that is how I am looking at it myself. Diets don't work because you either have to stay on the forever or you go back to your old eating habits. Learning that you are doing wrong and ways you can do better is so much more helpful than going on a crash or fad diet.

Lisad1, I don't have cable since I'm not home enough to make it worth the cost. icon_sad.gif Luckily my class was postponed on Tuesday so I got to watch it this week and will get to watch it next week. Then I'll just have to get some video tapes and get my mom to record it for me.

I was telling my mom this week I'd love to see how everyone that has been on the show did. There are alot of them that they bring back to show at the end of every season, but I'd love to know the stats on how many lose and actually keep it off for the long run.

I love the show think it is great motivation, but I also think it is a little misleading for the average at home over weight person that wants to lose weight. When you watch them lose 10-20lbs after a week and you work hard and only see the scale move at a pound or two ever week it can get frustating. I know the average person should only lose 1-3lbs a week for it to be a healthy lose and that losing it slower helps keep it off.

butternut Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 14

I too am a big fan of The Biggest Loser. I also agree that there is no way the average person at home can lose even close to the amount of weight they lose every week. Just isn't gonna happen. I am a bit confused though about a couple of things on the first show that came on this past Tuesday. I know that each person goes through a thorough exam prior to being on the show. It had to have been detected that the police officer has some major health issues. But on the first work out day, he was pushed to work just as hard as everyone else even when he fell off the tread mill. Then the Dr informed Jillian that he is only allowed to work out 30 minutes a day because of his health issues. I don't understand why his problems were not detected prior to the first work out. That excessive work out the first day could have really harmed him. Just a bit confused how this played out.

mocakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:43am
post #13 of 14
Originally Posted by charlieinMO

I did lose 25 lbs and I truly think the part that helped the MOST was letting go of the (Sonic) diet coke! It was hard but I think it helped a lot.

Hi charlieinmo!! I live in Missouri too...and your comment about Sonic caught my eye!

I don't eat the food there, but I LOVE diet cherry coke from there! I can go for awhile without one...but if my husband sees me with one he says, "you fell off the wagon, huh?"

I wish I didn't love diet coke...I try to drink a lot of water, but nothing beats a nice cold diet coke!

charlieinMO Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #14 of 14

mocakes!! Good to "see" you! Gotta love that Sonic dontcha?? I know the feeling wishing that you didn't like diet coke! It would make it so much easier!! Good luck to us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%