How Shelf Stable Is Smbc, Imbc, Abc....?

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm by ceshell

tinygoose Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 6

So exactly how many days can you leave out a fondant covered cake with the following.....made with butter or shortening or combo...please specify

Cream Cheese....hours out?
Various fillings?

I keep hearing different things and was wondering if anyone knows for sure. Has anyone ever had a problem with any of the above going bad? What's your experience?
Thanks you

5 replies
absijails Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 6

Good question! I would love to know, too!!

Nbogdala Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 6

I am just bumping this , because I would like to know myself, I know a couple of them, but if anybody know it would be great info...

absijails Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 6

I'm bumping this again...

tinygoose Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 6

Hi all,

I did find this webpage about buttercream. It still doesn't really answer the question. I really want someone to say. "yes, you can keep SMBC at room temp. for ___ days no problem, and ABC for ___days, etc." But it does touch on the subject. Would still love to hear from someone who knows for sure.

Here's the link...

ceshell Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

CC cannot link directly to ba king 911's website, so when you type in their url the words ba king 9 11 get deleted. It's a great site though. To follow the link type this into your address bar: ba*king*9*11.*com/decorating/cakes_buttercream.htm but take out the asterisks icon_smile.gif

I don't think you WILL find a definitive answer for the meringue buttercreams, as nobody wants to take the liability of telling you it's safe to eat after x days since there's egg in it. I was under the impression that it must be kept refrigerated except before serving (meaning, several hours ok prior to serving, but otherwise keep refrigerated) however as I am sure you know, many CCers have no issues with it sitting out for several days. For storage (before putting it on a cake) I have never read anything other than "8 days in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer."

Cream cheese -> hours out depends on the recipe. Earlene's recipe is safe kept out for a...week I think? Check out her website

Really for all of your questions including ganache and filling, it's up to the specific recipe used and how precisely you followed the directions to get the proper balance of bacteria-inhibiting ingredients, which is prob. why there is no one single answer out there. But I sure wish there was!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%