Newbie Customers

Business By littlecake Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm by diabolicdesire

littlecake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 12

oh man i had a funny one today...

she was wanting very ornate small stacked cakes 8 with a 6 on top...

i told her ok...that size is 69.99...

to which she replied "DOLLARS?"

ha ha...i said no, 69 cents.

then she told me her sister got the most beautiful ornate stacked cakes in branson for 10 bucks...

i told her she better go to branson then (6 hours away)...she said she'd need 10 of them, (like i should jump at that...whoo whoo 100 dollars for 10 stacked cakes)....amazing....

11 replies
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 12

Hysterical!! Cake civilians ...... whatta ya gonna do with 'em?

8/6 serves 24/12 = 36 times 10 cakes = 360 servings times my rate of $3/serving = $1080.

And she thought you'd jump thru hoops for the chance to make 10 of 'em for a hundred bucks. icon_eek.gif

Some people are too ignorant to know how to breathe on their own. icon_confused.gif
----------
edited to correct the math!

littlecake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 12

the more i think about it, the more i DON'T wanna be everyones cakelady....

i want to be thought of as a luxury item, that not everyone and their brother can afford....i have limited time, i can only do so many cakes, why people go for "yard sale" prices is beyond me.

that"supposed" baker that made stacked cakes for 10 bucks...devalues cakes for everyone, it's kinda sickening.

indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

that"supposed" baker that made stacked cakes for 10 bucks...devalues cakes for everyone, it's kinda sickening.




Can we save this one for the licensed vs unlicensed debate .... the "my prices don't affect your price" arguments ... that pop up every 20 minutes on here? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

littlecake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 12

oh, she said her sister got these cakes from a shop!

and i have no problem with home decorators, i even have a guy here that i send my overflow business to.....

i wasn't trying to make this post about that tired subject.

beth2027 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 12

I was reading this and trying to add up the cost of supplies for a cake like this. Not even including time. And I don't know that I could even buy the supplies needed for $10 a cake. Ummm sounds to me like somebody's sister told her a story. icon_confused.gif
And including the time it took to do it...well, I know I'd be charging more than than and I don't charge near what some people do. (Mostly cause people won't pay that around here. They'd rather go to Wal-Mart)
I end up just making them for gifts for friends and family. I think I've only charged for like 2 or 3 cakes in the past year.

indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

oh, she said her sister got these cakes from a shop!

and i have no problem with home decorators, i even have a guy here that i send my overflow business to.....

i wasn't trying to make this post about that tired subject.




I'm with ya ..... that's why I put the laughy-faces there! thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 12

i think that chic was lying...(i never think of that, i guess i'm a naive 50 year old)...

i looked up all the bakeries in that area that had a website online...none of them would do that....

unless maybe she went to a grocery store....sometimes the bakery manager aint with it, and will make the decorators do stuff for crazy prices.

Cakebelle Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 12

Maybe it was a $100.00 each, and she got all confused, the poor cake muggle!!!!!!!!!!!!! dunce.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbyamym Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

oh man i had a funny one today...

she was wanting very ornate small stacked cakes 8 with a 6 on top...

i told her ok...that size is 69.99...

to which she replied "DOLLARS?"

ha ha...i said no, 69 cents.

then she told me her sister got the most beautiful ornate stacked cakes in branson for 10 bucks...

i told her she better go to branson then (6 hours away)...she said she'd need 10 of them, (like i should jump at that...whoo whoo 100 dollars for 10 stacked cakes)....amazing....




We should all be as lucky to come across a deal like that. LOL. People blow my mind sometimes. It never fails to get one of "those" crazy inquiries each week. icon_lol.gif

Bossy Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 12

LOL cake muggle! Thatt's to cute, I need to remember that Cakebelle.

diabolicdesire Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 12

Wow 10.00, there is no way. I just finished my first tiered cake (an 8" and 6") for my daughters 11th birthday and after the time I spent planning it, doing the baking, making the frosting and decorations plus putting it all together, I would never question someone telling me 70.00 !!!! I'm sure those with more practice can whip em out a lot quicker than me but still.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%