Foam Board

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm by deetmar

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 26

Just a quick question, when you use foam board for a base, what do you cut it with?

25 replies
megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 26

I have used an exacto knife, and then you can cover the edges with ribbon hot glued on or another decorative trim to cover the inside of the board to prevent the actual foam from getting on the cake. Oh...or you could just cover it with foil or wrap it in paper. Hope this helps!

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 26

I cut it with a box cutter & then cover with scrape book paper from Hobby Lobby it's 2 for $1.00. I put the cake on a cake board cut so that you can not see the board under the cake & then tape that to the covered foam board.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #4 of 26

I wrap mine in white plastic or vinyl. And just place the cake right on that. You could put a cake board cut to the size of the cake to seperate the two if you wanted to.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #5 of 26

I cut mine with a hot knife (an electrified exacto knife) by Creative Hot Marks--works like a charm & worth every penny. I got mine at Michael's and it's available at JoAnn's & Hobby lobby.

http://benfranklin.com/CREATIVE-HOT-MARKS-TOOL-KIT16.5-WATT/M/B0013JLFL0.htm

Rae

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:25am
post #6 of 26

An exacto works for me.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:24am
post #7 of 26

What thickness does everyone buy? I am always concerned that the 1/2 inch the store has isn't thick enough...

(sorry to highjack the thread..... but I was curious...)

Thanks

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:40am
post #8 of 26

I normally use the 1/2 inch and haven't had any problems with it. Thanks for the info on cutting and covering the board. Great info as I have always struggled with that part of it. I've tried small braids of fondant and other "covering" tricks but have never been happy with it.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:02am
post #9 of 26

I use the 1/2 inch board. I have tried them all; exacto cutters, hot knife, even an electric scroll saw.. the absolute best is an old fashioned electric knife.. See, I told DH that it pays to never get rid of anything.. LOL That thing has been in a drawer for years, and years, and... well, you get it.. icon_lol.gif

bettinashoe Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:18am
post #10 of 26

I have always used a large serrated knife and haven't had any real issues, other than getting distracted which caused my line to wobble a bit. That is totally due to my ADHD and not the knife. Funny how we rely on our old stand-by's isn't it? And, a good reason to never throw anything away! icon_biggrin.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:28am
post #11 of 26

bettinashoe: I know all about wobbley lines from not paying attention! I have ADD and I have never been able to cut a straight line for anything for that matter and have it look good! I feel your pain. icon_cry.gif
Jen...

bettinashoe Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #12 of 26

Funny, mellormom. Our lines may be crooked, but we are so good at doing 4 other things while we're cutting those foam boards, can't we? Who else can say they can watch tv, beat buttercream, yell at the kids/dogs and all cut a foam board at the same time?

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #13 of 26

You got it! I'm also very good at daydreaming too! I do that all the time while decorating. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMommytoDanny

What thickness does everyone buy? I am always concerned that the 1/2 inch the store has isn't thick enough...

(sorry to highjack the thread..... but I was curious...)

Thanks

A 1/2 inch board will support a 3 tier cake very easily.

I use a 3/16th inch under a single tier and 2 3/16th inch boards taped together under a 2 tier cake if the tiers are large or very heavy.

HTH
Rae

bettinashoe Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 26

Just a little FYI for you. I have begun hot gluing buttons on the bottom of my foam boards so they sit a little off the table. It makes it much easier to move the cakes once completed.

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:14am
post #16 of 26

Where do you all by the 1/2 inch foam boards? Online or at a particular store?

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:23pm
post #17 of 26

Yes, Bettina, gluing something under the bottom board to raise it above table level is a great "finger saver". I've used silicone "bumpers" used on glass tabletops, pieces of foamcore, napkin rings, etc.

I buy the 1/2 stuff from Hobby Lobby when they put their foam boards on sale 50% off--runs about $2.50/board. I can't always get there, so I ordered some from a website having a sale and it ran about $3.25/board with shipping.

http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/sturdyboard.htm

HTH
Rae

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #18 of 26

why foamcore? is it cheaper or sturdier than the cardboard? just curious.

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #19 of 26

So much sturdier than cardboard--no cracked icing, no broken tiers because the board flexes, no absorbing grease or moisture and getting mushy.

Rae

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 26

Sometimes I don't feel like 1/2" is sturdy enough actually. Like when I'm doing a big 3D cake on it I have to use another 3/16th glued on to the 1/2 in...otherwise it will bend.

3/16 boards are on sale at Michael's this week for $1 each!!! Normally they are about $2.79 there...

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #21 of 26

how far does one board go? can it be cut into smaller sizes, etc?

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:00pm
post #22 of 26

I use mason jar lids to "lift" my cake boards off the table and give me more room to pick it up. I just hot glue them to the underside of my bottom board.
I often wondered on the Food Network challenge why they build 300 lb. cakes and do not leave room to get under and pick it up

Sue

mamacc Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

how far does one board go? can it be cut into smaller sizes, etc?

They are 30 x 40in.

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:30am
post #24 of 26

The 3/16th and 1/2" boards I get from Michael's and the website in my post above are 30x20 inches. I get several cake sizes out of 1 and often 2 decorative boards out of a 1/2". There are larger sizes, like 30x40, but those babies run $15+, so they're not cost effective.

Rae

mamacc Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

The 3/16th and 1/2" boards I get from Michael's and the website in my post above are 30x20 inches. I get several cake sizes out of 1 and often 2 decorative boards out of a 1/2". There are larger sizes, like 30x40, but those babies run $15+, so they're not cost effective.

Rae

whoops!! That's what I meant...20 x 30.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #26 of 26

I used my 50% of from Michaels today and bought the hot tool gun as suggested above. I haven't used it yet, but I am excited to try. It brought the price down to $15.

You can always go to Michaels, or Hobby Lobby's websites and print off extra coupons, but you can only use one a day, unless you go back when the person that checked you out the first time isn't there.

I bought a 1/2" foamcore for $5. without the coupon, I used it on the glue gun. But I plan on going back over the weekend to get a couple more. I will give a coupon to my DIL, and one for myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%