Sweating Fondant

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm by pipercakes

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 10

Help, my fondant is sweating! I always take my cake out of the freezer and crumb coat them first. I don't like working with butter cream, just takes me so long to get it smooth and a frozen cake usually helps. I've never had a problem before, I think because by time I've frosted then waited for it to crust so I can go over it with the paper towel it's is usually thawed before I put the fondant on. Well, I think I must be getting the hang of it because this time it went much quicker. My 6 inch tier isn't sweating, I assume it defrosted. Which is kind of worse because it looks different than the other two layers. Help, what can I do. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.....

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 10

The only thing that solves sweating fondant is . . . time.

You've got to give it time for the condensate to evaporate naturally.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 10

Yes.. it should dry with no problems. Just let it sit. icon_smile.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much, panic averted. Put them on the kitchen counter under the ceiling fan and there are starting to return to normal icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 10

......by time I've frosted then waited for it to crust so I can go over it with the paper towel it's is usually thawed before I put the fondant on......

I never put that much b'cream on a cake that is going to be covered w/fondant. Just a thickish crumb coat that usually doesn't need to be smoothed w/paper towel.

FromScratch Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 10

I always put a full layer of buttercream under fondant. Most people don't eat the fondant and I like to have something under it. Plus it allows you to really smooth the cake so that smoothing the fondant is a snap. icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I always put a full layer of buttercream under fondant. Most people don't eat the fondant and I like to have something under it. Plus it allows you to really smooth the cake so that smoothing the fondant is a snap. icon_smile.gif

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a quick question for jkalman: Do you have problems with the icing smooshing out the bottom when you put the fondant on? I've only tried covering two cakes with fondant but I found that this happened when I put a thicker layer of BC on. I too agree that people still have to have icing on the cake if they take the fondant off. How do you avoid this?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 10

I also use a full layer of BC under my fondant and I don't have any smooshing issues. I usually chill the cake before adding the fondant so that the buttercream is nice and firm and won't loose it's shape under the weight of the fondant.

FromScratch Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 10

I chill my cakes before putting on the fondant too.. or use ganache.

pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 10

I have found that my fondant figures/cutouts will sweat if I am too in a rush to cover the cake with the carrier for transport. I need to make the cake with enough time to let the figures sit and air dry (perferably the night before assembling the cake).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%