Frosting - Homemade Or Store Bought

Business By sjbeatty8 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm by littlecake

sjbeatty8 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 10

For those of you who have a legal business... do you make your own buttercream/fondant or do you buy pre-made??? If pre-made, would you mind sharing your favorites??

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 10

I make all mine all homemade...The taste is better and no preservatives or chemicals! I do hear that Rich's Bettercreme is good...

terrylee Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 10

I make my own icing but as for fondant I prefer Satin Ice.

funbun Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 10

I make my own, but I know a couple decorators in town who buy from Costco. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

tonicake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 10

I make my b/c, but I use Fondx and Satin Ice for my fondant. I don't know what the other even tastes like. It's too easy to make and expensive to buy.

Good luck with your decision.

Athena08 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 10

I too make all my own frosting it just looks and taste sooo much better.. i usually make my own fondant too unless i need it in a hurry then i might cheat and go with store kind.... never used the satin icing will someone share with me what it is like icon_biggrin.gif

seagoat Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

I make my own BC but was looking for alterative. I tried Flavor Right...really smooth and light, but has a chemical aftertaste. Even after I added vanilla and orange flavoring. I've also tried Rich's bettercreme before and felt the same as Flavor Right. If I had to choose one of the two, it would be Rich's

If you don't like your BC, maybe try other types like IMBC or SMBC?

As for fondant, I make my own since it's not offered down here.

cindy531 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 10

I've never used it but I have heard others use the Vanilla & chocolate buttercream from Sam's Club. They say its really good.

shanasweets Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 10

I started using sam's buttercream. I have to add more powdersugar and vanilla. But it crust nice, and I pay 24.95 for 26 lbs. I just can't make it that cheap and nobody at work has even noticed. My husband thought I was crazy but can go through a bucket in about a month or so. It is really soft, which is why I add more powder sugar. Added cocopowder and melted chocolate chips, made my own chocolate with it it was nice. Still working on getting a better chocolate taste, still a little bitter for some.

littlecake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 10

you can't buy pre made that even tastes close to as good as home made...mine is half butter...to me the bucket icing tastes like play dough..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%