Frosting - Homemade Or Store Bought

Business By sjbeatty8 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm by littlecake

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 10

For those of you who have a legal business... do you make your own buttercream/fondant or do you buy pre-made??? If pre-made, would you mind sharing your favorites??

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 10

I make all mine all homemade...The taste is better and no preservatives or chemicals! I do hear that Rich's Bettercreme is good...

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 10

I make my own icing but as for fondant I prefer Satin Ice.

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 10

I make my own, but I know a couple decorators in town who buy from Costco. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 10

I make my b/c, but I use Fondx and Satin Ice for my fondant. I don't know what the other even tastes like. It's too easy to make and expensive to buy.

Good luck with your decision.

Athena08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Athena08 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 10

I too make all my own frosting it just looks and taste sooo much better.. i usually make my own fondant too unless i need it in a hurry then i might cheat and go with store kind.... never used the satin icing will someone share with me what it is like icon_biggrin.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

I make my own BC but was looking for alterative. I tried Flavor Right...really smooth and light, but has a chemical aftertaste. Even after I added vanilla and orange flavoring. I've also tried Rich's bettercreme before and felt the same as Flavor Right. If I had to choose one of the two, it would be Rich's

If you don't like your BC, maybe try other types like IMBC or SMBC?

As for fondant, I make my own since it's not offered down here.

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 10

I've never used it but I have heard others use the Vanilla & chocolate buttercream from Sam's Club. They say its really good.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 10

I started using sam's buttercream. I have to add more powdersugar and vanilla. But it crust nice, and I pay 24.95 for 26 lbs. I just can't make it that cheap and nobody at work has even noticed. My husband thought I was crazy but can go through a bucket in about a month or so. It is really soft, which is why I add more powder sugar. Added cocopowder and melted chocolate chips, made my own chocolate with it it was nice. Still working on getting a better chocolate taste, still a little bitter for some.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 10

you can't buy pre made that even tastes close to as good as home made...mine is half butter...to me the bucket icing tastes like play dough..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%