Any Ideas About This One?

Decorating By Melizerd Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 12:32pm by sarahpierce

Melizerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melizerd Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 11

Okay I have to admit I've only made a few cakes that weren't basic ones but I saw this pic and LOVE it:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=919383

I did PM the member to see if they have instructions. I'm only going to do two tiers since I don't have enough people to feed with more then that. I'm planning WAY ahead for my son's second birthday, in December.

I'm curious about what size you think the bottom two layers are. I assume that I would need to be sure I had dowels in each part under the second tier and cut cardboards to the shape I needed.

I made this last year:

I was very proud of myself. I'm taking a fondant class at Michael's (when it opens in my town!) next month and I'd love for this idea to be in my head for when I'm practicing icon_wink.gif

So any ideas on if this is really complicated for a semi-newbie cake maker (I have decorated lots of cakes with gel and frosting before though). I think I've set a precedent for myself since I started the first birthday off with an awesome cake now I have to have something just as cool too. Eventually I'd like to make a crooked cake but I'm a little scared of that.

10 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 11

The cake looks to be maybe a 12" 8" & 6" layers. If you are a newbie.......don't bite off more than you can do....it only makes you frustrated. I know, being new and so many ideas available you just want to do and try everything.

Take your time, practice, practice, practice....each time doing something a little bit more challanging.
The classes will help a lot....and check thru this site for CC members help.

Good luck.....you are off to a great start ....your dragon cake is cute. but a warning....this site is contagious.....and adictive......Happy Baking.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 11

I think that maybe they used an 8 in round cut it in half. Place the half circle round side up for the back so that it gives him dimension, cut the other circle in halves and place those round side up for his back legs so that it gives his hind legs dimension as well. THen cut a cake to piece the other pieces out. Whatever shape, square,rectangle etc.. Somebody did a cute puppy dog and posted the directions, when you see the directions it helps give you a good visual and then you can use that to help figure out some of these animals. I hope I make sense. HTH

Melizerd Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

The cake looks to be maybe a 12" 8" & 6" layers. If you are a newbie.......don't bite off more than you can do....it only makes you frustrated. I know, being new and so many ideas available you just want to do and try everything.

Take your time, practice, practice, practice....each time doing something a little bit more challanging.
The classes will help a lot....and check thru this site for CC members help.

Good luck.....you are off to a great start ....your dragon cake is cute. but a warning....this site is contagious.....and adictive......Happy Baking.

Thanks! I definitely don't want to get in over my head and I'm already addicted icon_wink.gif I'm a huge lurker. I know that several layers is definitely beyond my ability so I thought trying a two tier would be a good place to get my feet wet in the tiering ability.

terrylee Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 11

Melizerd...

A two tier would be a great start.....If you get antzie before you start your classes, just search CC for hints and videos via u-tube.

Melizerd Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 11

I definitely think I'll end up antzie ;p I'm an impatient person by nature.

I checked out your myspace, your cakes are gorgeous! I never thought of checking out youtube so I will do that for sure. Thanks for the tips!

terrylee Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks Melizerd....

I'm a very impatient person too.....

Post pictures.......and have FUN......!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 11

The pic I'm seeing is a dinosour -- has nothing to gdo w/a tiered cake at all..... Am I seeing the right cake?
The dino would not be hard at all -- it's a cut up cake -- *if* you had the directions and a diagram to follow. YOu might be able to find it on the internet but I haven't taken time to do a google on that yet.

Ooohhhh now I see the tiered cake you all are talking about icon_smile.gif
I definately think only 2 tiers would be the way to 'get your feet wet' as you said.
FYI: a 'layer' is one cake -- any size/shape, usually 2" thick .
A 'tier' is 2 layers of cake placed one on top of another w/some kind of filling (buttercream icing, fruit spread; fresh fruit; pudding etc).

Melizerd Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #9 of 11

ooh thanks for the tips on the lingo!

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 11

I did that exact same cake for my son's birthday last year. It was actually easier than you think. It is 2 9 inch rounds. The 1st round is cut in 1/2 and put on the flat sides for the body. The other body parts are carved into the rest of the body parts. I still have the instructions if you want to PM me for them and I'll type them up for you. This was my VERY 1st attempt at decorating.

ETA: I didn't fondant it either. I just iced it.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 11

Ladies,
The OP made the dino cake, she wants to make the slice of cake- cake in the link icon_smile.gif .

Mel- The dino cake you did is very cute. The slice of cake one you could also do as just one tier, with the slice on top. So, I guess the slice would be a small 2nd tier. This way you can make the bottom tier any size you want. Depending on how many you need to feed, I wouldn't go much bigger than a 10 inch on the bottom. The bigger the tier the harder it is to cover with fondant. Good luck! Post pictures when you're done! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%