Will My Cupcakes Be Ok??? Double The Baking Powder!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 1:05am by Deb_

mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:17am
post #1 of 5

I am making cupcakes from scratch & needed to halve the recipe since I didn't have enough cake flour for a full recipe. Dh came in talking to me and I forgot that I was halving it, and accidentally put the full amount of baking powder in (22 grams, when it should have been 11 grams).

Will it be ok since the amount is pretty small to begin with? Or should I just go to the store and buy more ingredients?

This is for a cake tasting tomorrow so I want everything to be great.

Thanks. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
psurrette Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #2 of 5

I would go to the store. Baking soda makes this taste salty.
Better to be safe than sorry

mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #3 of 5

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Does baking powder make it taste that way too?

I guess you're right though, better to be safe than sorry.

It's so nasty & rainy out right now. I think I'm going to finish making the icing & filling & then go to bed!!!

I'll have to get up early (when a closer store is open!) and make them tomorrow icon_rolleyes.gif I can't believe I did this!!!

On Monday I'm getting a Sam's Club membership so I can buy larger quantities of things!!!! icon_sad.gif

LisaR64 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 11:25am
post #4 of 5

I did the exact same thing the other day, and was afraid the cupcakes weren't going to taste right, but they were fine. I couldn't tell at all that there was too much baking powder. Probably because, as you mentioned, it really wasn't a lot to begin with.

Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:05am
post #5 of 5

Yea, I've only done it with BS and it was salty, so I don't know about BP. Some of my mistakes have actually ended up being better than the original recipe.
The first time I made WASC, I halved it to try for home. I halved everything except the Sour Cream, but I didn't notice at the time. It was sooooo moist and delicious. The next time I went to make it I bought 2 16oz. containers so I could make a whole recipe. As I was mixing I noticed I only needed 1 container for the recipe. I realized then that I had used too much the first time. So I followed the recipe correctly, and it was definitely not as good or moist as the time I messed it up. So from now on I use double the amount of Sour Cream in my WASC.

So maybe your cupcakes will come out better than ever with the double BP, good luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%