Traveling With Cakes Dilemma! Need Advice Tonight!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #1 of 12

so, I am pretty nervous right now...but also excited. I finished covering my first fondant wedding cake today for a friend of mine and the wedding is tomorrow. The only issue I am having is I wasn't thinking of how many separate cakes there were going to be and I need to travel in my crazy car with them 50 mins away! (about 40 miles) so there are 6 cakes all together...3 are to actually go on display and the other 3 are kitchen cakes. I already know that the 3 cakes for display are going to have to go on the floor on the inside of my car...two in the back seat and one in the front. MY DH wants to put the kitchen cakes on the SEAT in the back...the only thing is we will probably have to put down a blanket to level out that seat so they stay flat. so now the question icon_lol.gif

would it be SAFER to put the cakes on the back seat with the blanket...OR in the trunk where they will be level but not totally secure? I just want my cake friends' advice on this one since I haven't traveled with this many cakes for a long distance.

Thanks in advance for all your help! icon_smile.gif

Stephanie

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #2 of 12

If your trunk is cleaned out I would put them there. In what way do yu think they would not be secure?

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 12

Do not put the cakes in the trunk. I would put them in the back seat with a blanket under them so they stay nice and cool with the air on in the car. The trunk is too hot and can be dangerous for cakes.

Good Luck....

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:34am
post #4 of 12

i agree//// trunk to hot... backseat better

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #5 of 12

Invest in some shelf liner, the non-slip kind. I use it to lay on the floor of my back area to keep my cakes from sliding around.

cupcake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake07 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #6 of 12

I second mgdsue02...get some shelfliner! Those cakes won't be going anywhere if you line the floor/trunk with it.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:02am
post #7 of 12

I agree with the shelf liner. That is what I use. Don't put them in your trunk because they can take on the odors coming from your exhaust and taste horribly plus make people sick.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #8 of 12

I don't know what kinds of cars you guys have but in over 30 yrs I have put plenty of cakes in the trunk and *never!* had them take on exhaust fumes nor make anyone sick.

step0nmi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #9 of 12

ok...really what I was worried about is the fact that the cake were at the end of the car and they would have more 'air', so to speak, in the trunk. Basically, a lot of things move around a lot in the back of the car...and it's a big trunk... and not totally flat since I have that area in there where the tire and jack sits. OH! and...I am worried about the LAYERS shifting back there...has that ever happened to anyone?

I already have shelf liner! icon_lol.gif I know the cakes are not going anywhere IN the car!

and I don't think the exhaust actually goes into the trunk...the trunk is sealed so I am not worried about fumes.

hmmm...I guess it's all in what I feel comfortably with? i dunno still...ack!

thanks for all the tips and help ladies! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #10 of 12

Good luck with the transport! Let us know how it went! icon_smile.gif

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 12

I have read another post on here where the lady put the cakes in the trunk and when she arrived they had shifted. If you do put them in the trunk can you lay the back seats down so the air can get back to them and keep it cool???

Good Luck!

step0nmi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellJ

I have read another post on here where the lady put the cakes in the trunk and when she arrived they had shifted. If you do put them in the trunk can you lay the back seats down so the air can get back to them and keep it cool???

Good Luck!

ahhh...thank you! that is what I wanted to know...and that is exactly what my husband was worried about. this is the funny thing. I have a 2002 Grand Prix and my back seats don't go down AT ALL! icon_confused.gif it just doesn't make sense to me because it's a newer car! but...temperature is not a worry for me. I have purposely left out the cakes on the counter wrapped in plastic over night...and it's about 70 degrees here....and they are all fine...but I would like the ac on to keep them from shifting in the move.

It seems that when the cakes are in the 'middle' of the car the shock is absorbed more so when or if you go over a bump the cakes are not effect as much. but I just know that if they were in the trunk that the layers just may shift. Thanks Kell icon_biggrin.gif

thanks to all of you for your help and advice. I think I will be fine with putting them IN the car ON the back seat. the only thing I am disappointed in is all the rain for my friend's wedding day icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%