Bettercream Help!!!!!

Decorating By KellJ Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 5:15am by KellJ

KellJ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know if you can smooth Rich's Bettercream with a viva paper towel?? Does it crust over at all???

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #2 of 9

No on both ?s.
It remains much too soft to have anything put on it.

icer101 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 9

kakeladi is right on both answers... but you can smooth it good with your spatula.... little patience

Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #4 of 9

Oh yeah----it's way too soft for the towel method. Just whip out that spatula and do the best you can. Good luck!!!

loriemoms Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #5 of 9

Use a smoothing tool for drywall. is much easier then the spatula. I don't use bettercream, but when I use my non crusting, I do it in layers and cool it in the fridge between layers for a few hours. Its much easier then trying to smooth out real thick have to do it alittle a differently then the crusting kind.

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:20am
post #6 of 9

If you are having difficulty smoothing Bettercreme, or any of it's counterparts, one of two things may have happened -

1 - You overwhipped it. In that case, you can put a couple of tablespoons of the liquid into the bowl and rewhip it, just until it's incorporated and soft.

2 - You are not working with it fast enough. It only stays soft as long as it stays cold. Once it comes to room temperature, it turns sponge-like when you try to smooth it.

I've only worked with that stuff once, and hated every minute of it. But I can still tell you what I learned. I had asked, the person who
recommended it to me, how to smooth it. She suggested a hot knife, like you would use with SMBC. It only made things worse. Then I realized, it must stay cold to stay soft, so I dipped my spatula in ice water. It worked like a dream! It softened back up and smoothed out perfectly.

I still hate the stuff, but if I ever absolutely, positively have to work with it again, I will know what to do.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #7 of 9

Excellent tips playingwithsugar!!! I'll keep the ice water trick in mind.

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:29am
post #8 of 9

Just remember to wipe the water off the spatula before you use it on the cake. The last person I taught that didn't put 2+2 together, and had streaks running down the side of the cake. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KellJ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:15am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for the tips! I ended up taking it all off the cake and making my regular buttercream. That's the last time I try something new on an order. I have to say I do really like the taste of the bettercream and want to try it with different flavors but will only use it on cupcakes. I really needed my frosting to crust over. I am very picky about my frosting being smooth on my cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%