Bettercream Help!!!!!

Decorating By KellJ Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 5:15am by KellJ

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know if you can smooth Rich's Bettercream with a viva paper towel?? Does it crust over at all???

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #2 of 9

No on both ?s.
It remains much too soft to have anything put on it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 9

kakeladi is right on both answers... but you can smooth it good with your spatula.... little patience

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #4 of 9

Oh yeah----it's way too soft for the towel method. Just whip out that spatula and do the best you can. Good luck!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #5 of 9

Use a smoothing tool for drywall. is much easier then the spatula. I don't use bettercream, but when I use my non crusting, I do it in layers and cool it in the fridge between layers for a few hours. Its much easier then trying to smooth out real thick buttercream...you have to do it alittle a differently then the crusting kind.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:20am
post #6 of 9

If you are having difficulty smoothing Bettercreme, or any of it's counterparts, one of two things may have happened -

1 - You overwhipped it. In that case, you can put a couple of tablespoons of the liquid into the bowl and rewhip it, just until it's incorporated and soft.

2 - You are not working with it fast enough. It only stays soft as long as it stays cold. Once it comes to room temperature, it turns sponge-like when you try to smooth it.

I've only worked with that stuff once, and hated every minute of it. But I can still tell you what I learned. I had asked, the person who
recommended it to me, how to smooth it. She suggested a hot knife, like you would use with SMBC. It only made things worse. Then I realized, it must stay cold to stay soft, so I dipped my spatula in ice water. It worked like a dream! It softened back up and smoothed out perfectly.

I still hate the stuff, but if I ever absolutely, positively have to work with it again, I will know what to do.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #7 of 9

Excellent tips playingwithsugar!!! I'll keep the ice water trick in mind.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:29am
post #8 of 9

Just remember to wipe the water off the spatula before you use it on the cake. The last person I taught that didn't put 2+2 together, and had streaks running down the side of the cake. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:15am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for the tips! I ended up taking it all off the cake and making my regular buttercream. That's the last time I try something new on an order. I have to say I do really like the taste of the bettercream and want to try it with different flavors but will only use it on cupcakes. I really needed my frosting to crust over. I am very picky about my frosting being smooth on my cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%