Didn't Get Paid!!!

Decorating By Deniro Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 1:56am by Deb_

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #1 of 13

Last weekend I had two cake orders for my neighbor. One was for Saturday morning for a soccer team celebration, which she picked up and paid for. The second cake was for Sunday afternoon. I had agreed to deliver it myself since I also was invited to this baby shower. I show up to this shower with the cake and no one said anything about paying me. I left a few hours later still with no one mentioning a thing. Do people really forget they owe money? She even asked me the previous day how much the baby shower cake was going to cost because she had to get the money from the person who was actually throwing the shower. How is that my problem? I don't think she forgot she probably does'nt think she's responsible for the bill. As far as I'm concerned she ordered it she needs to pay me. Its been almost a week I don't think she will!!

12 replies
superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #2 of 13

i think you should either call her or go & see her, just ask if she has received the money from the person who was throwing the shower yet as you are waiting for payment.

Deniro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

i think you should either call her or go & see her, just ask if she has received the money from the person who was throwing the shower yet as you are waiting for payment.

I'm embarrassed to ask since it was only $25.00 . Im' more upset at that she hasn't considered the time and effort I put in to deliver a product!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #4 of 13

Under "Lessons Learned": Next time, you walk into the room and loudly pronounce, "Cake's here! Who do I give the bill to?"

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 13

You should TOTALLY ask her about it!!! Don't feel bad, she told you she was paying, you didn't offer it as a gift...so get your money!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #6 of 13

You need to just use the direct approach. Take her an invoice for the cake, or just ask her when she expects to pay you for it. If she doesn't think she is supposed to pay for it, then ask her where you need to send the invoice.

You don't need to feel apologetic about expecting and asking for prompt payment. If you let it go too long, you'll never get your money. I don't think I would have left the shower without payment. I would have discreetly asked either the hostess or the woman who ordered the cake for it right then and there.

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 13

Superstar is right, you can just ask her if she has received the money from the hostess yet. I would start off by mentioning how nice the shower was and with the all of the festivities, you did not get paid for the cake. By taking the understanding approach from the start, you may diffuse any potential defensiveness.
There was likely so much going on at the party that payment just got overlooked. Your neighbor surely communicated the agreed upon price that you gave her to the hostess, as she had just asked you the day before. If you speak with the neighbor and she says that the hostess is responsible, send an invoice to the hostess due upon receipt. Hopefully, the professional, business-like approach will pay off - literally!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #8 of 13

The amount is not important, it is the principle. I love what Debi said for next time, but you need to get paid for this one.

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #9 of 13

Maybe you could send her a bill or a statement with both cakes and the credit for the cake that was paid for. That really stinks for you.
I understand about it being hard to talk to people, especially friends, about money. My friend asked me to make a cake for her daughter's birthday and I made the mistake of assuming that she was going to pay me since I made one of her best friend the week before for which I was paid. I would not have put as much effort into it if I had known she was going to pay me. It's my fault... I should have said something up front.

Deniro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

Superstar is right, you can just ask her if she has received the money from the hostess yet. I would start off by mentioning how nice the shower was and with the all of the festivities, you did not get paid for the cake. By taking the understanding approach from the start, you may diffuse any potential defensiveness.
There was likely so much going on at the party that payment just got overlooked. Your neighbor surely communicated the agreed upon price that you gave her to the hostess, as she had just asked you the day before. If you speak with the neighbor and she says that the hostess is responsible, send an invoice to the hostess due upon receipt. Hopefully, the professional, business-like approach will pay off - literally!

Your right their was alot going on, only myself and another guest showed up! They were pretty upset! They also mentioned how theyre guests leave them hanging all the time! I wonder why?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:44am
post #11 of 13

Ugh, don't you just hate chasing people down for $$$$? The next time, just requiore payment 3-4cweeks in advance, then you won't have to worry about pament!

Good luck.....

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #12 of 13

Bingo!! Indydeb, I am with you.
Once a cake has been eaten, they completely forget they owe you.

My customers know, I don't bake it, fill it, ice it, deliver it or anything until they show me the dough! icon_rolleyes.gif

I have explained to people, to them they are paying for a cake, to me it is a paycheck. They wouldn't like it if someone "forgot" to pay them!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #13 of 13

Send her an invoice for the cake.

If you don't do anything it will only get more and more awkward each time you see this person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%