Topsy Turvy Pans

Decorating By pinklesley1 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 2:30am by funsugar

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 11

I went to my supply place and I saw that they had the topsy turvy pans and I bought them... now im freaked about using them... i normally carve a dam in the the top of the bottom tier so that the top tier sits inside of it...

now with these pans... how do i stack them... bc i cant carve the hole in it anymore...

im confused...

help

10 replies
cous2010 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 11

I'm confused. Could you post a picture of them? The only topsy turvy pans that I've seen are the single layer Wilton pans, and those aren't stacked....

Meanwhlie, I'll try googling it icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

funsugar Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:42am
post #3 of 11

Oh where did u buy those pans?

I think i know what you are talking about, and they are not the Wilton pans.

At the Las Vegas Cake Camp, there was someone who was selling those pans. Quite pricey at over $100, but if you do a lot of topsy turvy cakes, it could possibly save you some time.

if you have a link or a phone #, that would be good

LeanneW Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:10am
post #4 of 11

This definately sounds like something I would like to try. I have never made a TT cake because they scare me.

deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:35am
post #5 of 11

really? topsy pans? i am intrigues!! i make millions of topsy's and would be such a time saver to not have to carve them but at the same time it doesn't take long these days!1 lol!!
i don't do the dam carve method so no problem there! i just stack them striaght on top of each other at the angles and use fondant and RI as glue work great!!

sarahpierce Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 11

I just did a search and found them online. It looks like either you put cake board under each tier and hammer a big dowel down the center of the whole cake, or you carve them out like you did before so they are actually sitting straight. Did it not come with directions? O.k. now a stupid question: these pans look to be really expensive, why not just carve your own? Alright, one more stupid question: How do they sit in the oven without spilling? Is there a stand they rest on so the top is level? icon_confused.gif Weird.

funsugar Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 11

Hi Sarah, can you supply the web link to where you found it online?

from what i remember seeing, there was a separate pan for each tier of the cake, shaped in the way you would need them. You can stack the pans on top of each other and it would look like a topsy turvy cake.

So it would save you the time and effort of chopping a layer diagonally, as well as not having to "dig the well" for the next layer.

Rant:
The crappy thing about this cake, is that everyone calls it different things (topsy turvy, whimsical, slanted, crooked,etc) so it makes it hard to find information.

sarahpierce Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 11

I found these at www.suppliesforcakes.com . It is on the second page of cake pans. Why am I not getting the concept of not digging a well? They end up the same shape in these pans then they do if you carve them icon_confused.gif . I'm so confused. icon_redface.gif Long night at work maybe. Do you not need to carve the well because each tier is only 1 layer? icon_confused.gif

PinkZiab Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 11

Just another unnecessary product in my opinion--I come from the Alton Brown school of bakeware and gadgets: No uni-taskers lol... I'll stick with doing it the standard way and have one less set of pans I need to store... and just how DO you put these in the oven? lol

deliciously_decadent Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 11

just checked out the pas and it looks lke i will just have to continue on my merry way with carving as they are not the right shape for my topsy's mine angle in to alot smaller base unlike the pans that aren't angled much on the sides at all.

Quote:
Quote:

Why am I not getting the concept of not digging a well? They end up the same shape in these pans then they do if you carve them

there are basicallly two ways of stacking a topsy, stacking as is on the angles (i do this) some use a center dowel for stability in this method (I only do if it is a really high stack or if i am delievering a long distance away) the second method i think is the way most of you do it which seems to be the popular method in the states of cutting out a dam or hollow in the tier below so that the tier above sits on a flat surface. hope that made things a little clearer for you sara! icon_biggrin.gif

funsugar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #11 of 11

I checked out that link.. i could have sworn i saw different topsy turvy pans, that looked much better....

each layer comes off, so you would bake each layer individually. Then assemble. from those pans, youd probably just save the time of cutting the diagonal, and would have to stab the cake with a couple of wooden stakes (dowels)

Sarah,

Check out this link, its a pretty comprehensive list of tutorials on topsy turvy cakes..

http://sdcakes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26

using the slanted method as well as the "dig the well"..

lots of pics and videos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%