How Do I Color My Candy Silver ??

Decorating By farmom3 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm by ceshell

farmom3 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #1 of 9

hi I have a tool box candy mold and I realy like to make one tool box cake with tools made of candy, but I don't know how to color the candy look like that made of metal ???
thanks

8 replies
ceshell Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:19am
post #2 of 9

You can use silver luster dust dissolved in vodka or lemon extract (due to the high alcohol content and the fact that they are clear) and paint it on, just as you do on fondant for cakes. Thin coats, let dry completely before adding another coat. Everclear works even better if you can get your hands on it. I did some kitchen tools this way, I am sure it took at least 3 coats. Helps if you start out with that part of the candy in grey but it's not necessary (I did it on straight chocolate pieces).

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #3 of 9

Or you can use a single coat of silver cocoa butter, and paint it into the mold before you add the plain chocolate. I got mine from

www.chefrubber.com

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tarheel Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 9

How much in advance can you make your chocolate candy tools?

ceshell Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:47am
post #5 of 9

As far in advance as you want, presuming you are using candy melts. I think that stuff lasts forever. haha.

farmom3 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much ceshell !! I didn't know I can use alcohol on the candy.
thanks for the info

thank you very much Playingwithsugar ,the website has a very exciting items that I didn't know before, but the cocobuter is pricey for me, but thank you very much

ceshell Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 9

Just take it slow and be patient. I remember having some trouble at first but that was 2 years ago, and I think I am recalling trouble getting the COLOR (gel paste) on because I was using water-based colors rather than candy colors to paint. Desperately trying to access my memory-banks (icon_smile.gif) I think the paint went on fine, but you must use thin coats like I mentioned before. I don't think I had everclear at the time so I probably used lemon extract rather than vodka. Go with whatever has the highest proof.

DianeLM Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 9

You don't even need to mix your dust with anything. Just brush it on dry. You'll get the best coverage with HIGHLIGHTER dust. Make sure your pieces are at room temp. Don't try to brush the dust on right out of the frig. The condensation will cause problems.

Be sure to tint your chocolate grey first. It will take the silver color beautifully.

ceshell Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 9

Yay, thanks for that tip Diane. SHEESH that dragon is gorgeous! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%