Toba's Glace

Baking By searge Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 6:52am by Honeydukes

searge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
searge Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hey Gang!
I'm new to the site as I've said before. I'd like to get the recipe for Toba's Glace. I've seen so many references to it, but when I try to search it out, I come up with ziltch. Probably not looking in the right place. Could someone please post it or give me directions to it, I'd like to look at it and see if it's something I'd like to try on my cookiesl '''''''''''''''''''''could someone can point me in the right directionl I've seen some really good reviews on it, and would lkr to give it a try. Have lots of cookies to bake and it sound a bit easier than my original plan.
thanks to all the new friends I' amassing while here!!
cheryl thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:33am
post #3 of 8

I just checked out the recipe for Toba's Glaze, does anyone out there know how well this glaze hold's up in the heat. Also how do you store the left over glaze. Because it has milk in it can the cookies be left out of the fridge or will they spoil. Thanks.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:12am
post #4 of 8

You don't have to put the cookies in the fridge, something about the sugar mixed in it makes the milk stable or safe or something. You'd have to ask a culinary expert on the science behind it. However, if you plan on outlining and then flooding the glaze is too thin to outline, so what I did was make the glaze using the powd. sugar & corn syrup first then SLOWLY added maybe 1/4 of the milk it called for, did my outlining then added more of the milk. I still never used all it called for though, only maybe 3/4 of it. I didn't have any leftovers, at least not enough to store. I found that 1 glaze recipe made enough for the batch of NFSC. Personally I think her glaze is MUCH better than royal icing!!! Just make sure to give it at least overnight, 2 days would even be better, to dry before stacking or packing. Good luck!!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:24am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesbyms

I just checked out the recipe for Toba's Glaze, does anyone out there know how well this glaze hold's up in the heat. Also how do you store the left over glaze. Because it has milk in it can the cookies be left out of the fridge or will they spoil. Thanks.

Holds up just fine in the heat. According to her book, leftover icing should be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks -- three if not using milk. Cookies should be stored in an airtight container.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 8

Use the recipe as a base, and adjust it to your needs. If you want it thicker, add more powdered sugar (I almost always add more than is called for, and even more for outline consistency). If you want it thinner, add more corn syrup. This icing can be incredibly versatile...you just need to play with it. Also, I would recommend adding brite white food coloring to the icing. It will make it more opaque, and it will help prevent spotting and crackling if the iced cookies get cold.

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 8

So would I still add the brite white if making another colour say red or blue.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:52am
post #8 of 8

Yes, add it to your base icing. As Gemini said, it will make your icing opaque and help reduce spots. You would then put that icing in separate bowls and color as needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%