Stenciling Sides Of A Cake

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm by bobwonderbuns

Lori2240 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 7

I have never stenciled the sides of a cake before. Is it as straight forward as it seems or am I gonna run into some issues? Any tips? I havent decided if I am gonna use royal icing or sugarveil. Is one better than the other? Thanks in advance for the advice!

6 replies
Price Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I recently stenciled the sides of 2 cakes. It was really pretty simple. My cake was iced in buttercream and I used buttercream for the stenciling. On the second cake, I put a thinner layer of the stenciled pattern on the cake and I liked the effect better than the first cake. Just hold your stencil gently on the side of your cake and use a small pallete knife or spatula and gently ice over the stencil. Then carefully peel the stencil off and that's it! I think it gives a really nice look to the cake.

LisaR64 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 7

I recently stenciled the side of a cake also, and found it was really easy as long as the icing was well crusted and very well chilled. Towards the end, my icing was thawing a bit, and the stencil began to stick to the cake.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 7

I stenciled the side of the towering inferno cake (in my pix) which you can't see too well but you will have issues lining up the design. Use the guides on the stencil and the actual decoration to help in your placement of "patch" pieces.

Lori2240 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the feedback. The "Towering Inferno" turned out GORGEOUS. Is Royal Icing the best best to use with the stencil? Thanks!

DollyCakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 7

We did one recently and we used royal icing to do the stenciling. We stenciled on fondant and it was relatively easy. I did purchase a stencil brush and it worked great. It's a beautiful accent on a cake!

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 7

I like using the royal for the stenciling (that's what we used on the towering inferno cake.) You can use buttercream but I found it smears and smudges too easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%