Shipping Issue

Business By karateka Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 5:07am by Chef_Stef

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 6

I give my brides a coupon for a free 6in cake for their anniversary. One just called me to request hers and her anniversary is Sept 15. I am soooo booked but told her I thought I could do it on time.

I get an email back saying that they live in Chicago and can I ship it? They pay for shipping.

Is she nuts? She wants white cake with buttercream icing. Shipping that thing properly will cost waaaaay more than I'd charge to make that daggone thing!

Anybody have any advice on the best shipping method, or failing that, what I should tell her?

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 6

I would tell her shipping is not possible and perhaps offer 'wedding' cookies, Hearts or wedding cake cookies. Iced in white with a simple decoration should do the trick- if you wanted to replace the cake.

It isn't your problems that she moved.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:21am
post #3 of 6

Let them know shipping costs. Who knows, maybe they're willing to pay it?

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 6

I shipped one on Greyhound recently. It made it there fine. Minimum charge is like $12. It got there the same day - they had to pick it up from the bus station. Make sure to tell them what's in the box and label the box well if you do this.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:01am
post #5 of 6

I shipped a cake to Oklahoma once. I overnighted it and it cost a small fortune and I had it on dry ice. It made it there kinda OK icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:07am
post #6 of 6

I've heard people shipping fondant cakes with better luck...you might search on here a bit for the posts.

Fun trivia: I'm shipping baked and frozen cake layers to my cousin next week, shipping about half my kitchen in another box, and then I'm flying down, renting a car, stopping at a grocery for butter, eggs, and sugar, and going to do the cake on site that weekend at a hostel. Who KNOWs hows that will go! Wish me luck..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%