The Color Of Elmo...help!

Decorating By newbiecakemaker Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 1:06pm by sambugjoebear

newbiecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbiecakemaker Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 6

I can NOT get the color right. Anyone that has made one want to let me know how to do it? Thanks so much! I am running out of time!!

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 6

what brand of icing color are you using??? That could be the culprit......also if you don't feel it's dark enough, usually by waiting about 20 min. or so and the color will darken a bit more

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 6

I used the Wilton no taste red. I had to add quite a bit and let it sit for a while....actually, then next day when the cake was served, the red was very dark.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 6

Red and Black buttercream should always set for 24 hours to achieve the full depth of color. Don't get too much color in there or it will be too dark. Put a cover on it and let it set.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 11:58am
post #5 of 6

I used wilton Red Red for my elmo. When I need to use red BC, I always mix up the red one day in advance to allow time for the color to deepen. I also find that if my BC is a stiffer consistency, I am able to achieve a deeper color.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 6

One trick I learned from here also is to start with Orange coloring. That way you don't have to add as much Red. Then when You think you've got the right amount, let it set out for a while for the color to deepen. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%