Sorry! More Cake Ball/truffle Questions!

Decorating By Price Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 7:57pm by Price

Price Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I have been reading for the past 2 years about cake balls and how most people love them. It is raining here today and I had some choc. cake in the freezer, so I decided to give them a try.

The cake is the double/double choc. cake from Epicurious.com. It is very, very moist. I used 2 forks to crumble it. (It was a 6" sq. cake) I only used about 2 tbsp. if that much, bc icing and finely chopped some marishino cherries. I used a cookie scoop to make the balls, placed them on a cookie sheet on parchment paper, and popped them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. I melted some of the Merkins White Choc. wafers to cover them with. I added about a tsp of shortening to the choc.

Questions:
1. The white choc is not very thin after melting. I am having to hold the cake ball on a fork and use a spoon to put the choc. on the cake ball. Shouldn't I be able to just dip the ball in the choc.?

2. The first coating of choc. doesn't seem to be thick enough and I have to cover it a 2nd time. Should 1 coat be covering it?

3. The finished product is not pretty and smooth, Do I need to roll the cake balls around in my hand to compress them and make them look smoother?

I tasted one, and boy are they sweet! I can't imagine being able to eat more than one of them at a time! Thanks for any tips, advice and suggestions! I made about 2 doz. but have only covered 3. I thought I'd better get some help from here before going any further! icon_redface.gif

Thanks again!
Jean

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 3

The white choc is not very thin after melting.......
Sounds to me like your choco is oldicon_sad.gif OR you want steam or water in it.

Should 1 coat be covering it? ...........
Yes. White choco is hard to work with (IMHO) & you said it's a dk choco cake.....

roll the cake balls around in my hand to compress them and make them look smoother? ..........
I do. And I make them small - about the size of a lg marble.
boy are they sweet!...........
Well yah, cake & candy is sweeticon_smile.gif

Price Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, I just made the remaining pieces into smaller balls and rolled them smooth. They are now about the size of a ball for playing jacks. I have put them back in the freezer and will play with them some more later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%