Will The Ribbon Get Oily/greasy???

Decorating By liapsim Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm by bfisher11

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing my first wedding cake and I need help! The bride wants plain white buttercream and black ribbon around the bottom of each tier. I tried convincing her to do fondant, but she doesn't want it. How would I do the ribbon on the bottom of the buttercream? Won't it get oily/greasy looking? Any ideas are very appreciated!!!

Thanks!

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 5

Yes..It will get greasy from the butter /shortening in the icing.Some on here..CC have used waxed paper behind the ribbon and a few other techniques but I'm not sure how great that would work..At least the color is black so it can't get any darker than black!!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 5

I have done ribbon and I have one in my pictures (square with black ribbon) and the yellow & pink. I did nothing to the ribbons and they were fine. But I frosted them one day let them crust well and the next day put ribbon on. I haven't had any grease problems. Others say they have.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 5

Hmmmm....thanks Shelly...maybe I will attempt that but have back up wax paper just in case? I wonder, do they glue the wax paper to the ribbon to hold them together?

Oh and how do you make the ends stay together?

bfisher11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfisher11 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 5

you can also try putting tape on the back side of the ribbon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%