Delivery In A Hurricane?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm by melvin01

summernoelle Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 23

I am in Dallas, which is quite aways from the coast. But tomorrow we are having heavy rains, flooding, and 60mph winds. I have to deliver a 3 tiered cake in the middle of this! What should I do? It seems like it qualifies as an act of God, but the client still wants the cake at the party. Any advice?

22 replies
jbart Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 23

could you have them pick the cake up?

summernoelle Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 23

I don't know. She paid for delivery, which I would be happy to refund. But I am really not comfortable with all the unknows.

miss_sweetstory Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 23

What do the official travel advisories say? If they say 'stay off the roads,' then you have an obligation to do so; but if it is only personal discomfort, you have the obligation to fulfill your contract.

I hope you and yours, as well as all CCers affected by Ike and the other storms remain safe and well.

Cherie206 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 23

Would it be possible to deliver later today instead? If not and you don't feel safe delivering tomorrow, I would refund their delivery fee and ask them to come pick it up. Just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

liapsim Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 23

Have you talked to the bride about the storm? Is she concerned in the least bit?

Price Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 23

How far do you have to travel to deliver the cake and on what kind of roads? It's a hard call. I hate circumstances like this! It's so hard to decide what is the best thing to do! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

ziggytarheel Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 23

Have you experienced something similar to this before? Do the roads you will need to travel flood easily? Do you need to travel far? Have you ever delivered in severe weather before?

I generally try to stay home in tropical weather. I did have to run all over the place during about 8 inches of rain in 2 hours and stiff winds. I wouldn't recommend it, but I wasn't the only one out.

On the other hand, I have experienced a storm still at hurricane strength, living maybe 130 miles from the coast. No one could have gone anywhere during that storm. Trees and powerlines were down everywhere. Most of us were without power for days and some for weeks.

Weather predictions are not completely reliable. My best suggestion for you is if you can offer to deliver today, do that. If not, tell her that she is welcome to come get the cake, and that you will have it ready for her (has she paid?).

melvin01 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 23

I would plan on delivering it. Being in Austin, they are talking about us not even getting any rain or very marginal precipitation!

Dallas is pretty far north. I was just on weather.com (which is more accurate sometimes than the weatherman!). Looks like it will probably rain tomorrow with gusty winds only around 40mph.

I would try to take the 3 tiers separate and boxed and plan to assemble on site. That way if it is windy, you won't be stressed about the cake toppling over or about it getting wet taking it in.

You didn't mention what time you needed to take it, but I'd try to work on getting it there early if you can.

Good luck and I'm sure it won't be that bad for you guys up there tomorrow.

(Sorry to sound abrasive, but I'm SO SICK of hearing "hurricane" every 5 minutes! Plus they rescheduled a tennis tournament I had in San Antonio this weekend because of it saying earlier this week "rain and 100 mph winds". 100 MPH IN SAN ANTONIO?? I don't think so! Now they're saying 20mph winds! The stoopid weatherman has no idea what it will do. I mean it's essentially a tornado, can you predict where those will go??? I don't think so. Maybe I should be a meteorologist so I can be wrong all the time and still get paid!

Okay, off my soapbox!)

Good luck with delivery and let us know how it goes. Sorry for the vent!!

terrig007 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 23

Summer, I have often wondered the same thing in cases of weather and blizzards. I agree with the others, call them and see if they'll pick it up or if you can meet half-way and refund the delivery. I would also check to see if they'll take it today. I heard some weather guy saying that if you don't get out, you'll die. I hope you'll all be okay down there.
One of my friends got married during a terrible Chicago blizzard in the mid 80's. No one came, no one could come because they said stay off the roads. She lived two blocks from the church and her husband lived three blocks. They and their immediate families walked to church and got married. The reception site refunded half their money and then wound up letting them have a day in July that wasn't booked and not charging them anymore than the half they "lost". So they had a January wedding with a July reception.
Let us know how it goes.

arosstx Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 23

I am in the Dallas area as well, and have kept close watch on the hurricane, as my dad lives right by Corpus Christi and evacuated yesterday.

I took this off of http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USTX0861 . At the top of the page you can put in your specific zip code to see the forecast.

"Details for Saturday, September 13
Windy with occasional showers or thundershowers. High 79F. Winds NE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall may reach one inch. Higher wind gusts possible. Saturday night: Frequent rain showers will be accompanied by heavy downpours and strong gusty winds at times. Low around 70F. Winds N at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Significant rainfall amounts possible. Localized flooding is possible."

So that means winds here could GUST up to 35, but that is not sustained wind. We are for sure going to get rain though. That is a decision you won't be able to make until you see how much rain you actually get! You never know, she may end up calling you to cancel!

I would suggest taking along another person to hold a large (golfing sized) umbrella for you as you carry that big cake indoors!

Good luck and be careful.

shanasweets Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 23

I agree you should box seperately and plan to set up there. That way you won't get your cake wet. Take someone with you to hold the umbrella. But if there still having the party, I think you still are obligated to deliver a cake.

summernoelle Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 23

GGGGAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

So I gave the venue a call, arranged to bring it tonight. So then I let my customer know, and she was very terse and like "I need the names of the managers you spoke to."
Fine. Then I told her I would be happy to email her photos as well after it is dropped off (Mostly for me-CYA).
She responds "My husband is freaking out!!!!!!!"

What does this woman want me to do? I am really trying here.

summernoelle Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Have you experienced something similar to this before? Do the roads you will need to travel flood easily? Do you need to travel far? Have you ever delivered in severe weather before?

No.
Very.
Yes.
No.

Sorry to some of you guys who think I'm overracting. I am actually worried about it getting there OK. I know it might end up being a tiny little rainstorm, but still worried. icon_rolleyes.gif

Cherie206 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 23

I think you did what you needed to do! Good luck weathering the storm.

ziggytarheel Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

No.
Very.
Yes.
No.

Sorry to some of you guys who think I'm overracting. I am actually worried about it getting there OK. I know it might end up being a tiny little rainstorm, but still worried. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh goodness! I wasn't being unkind. I was trying to determine if this was something you had experienced. I don't even know what your forecast is. I really was trying to be helpful. I sincerely apologize.

summernoelle Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #17 of 23

No-ziggy! I wasn't meaning anyone in particular! Sorry!
I just meant that I know I might seem to be Chicken Little, but I actually am worried about my product.
I didn't mean to offend anyone!

arosstx Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 23

You do what you feel is best. If she can't understand, maybe by tomorrow she will. No cake is more important than your (or their) safety!

My prayers go out to any of you in the immediate path and outlying areas of hurricane Ike. Even here in the DFW area, we're expected to get plenty of rain and wind.

summernoelle Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #19 of 23

Yeah, I just got back from dropping it off. I hope it will be OK! It was left in the kitchen at a large party place.

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:50pm
post #20 of 23

did you ever hear if they got the cake okay?

hope you all are fairing well down in TX!

marmalade1687 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #21 of 23

Hey Summer, I hope the client was okay with everything, and I am glad that you were able to get the cake delivered safely (your safety in mind!).

I've never had to worry about driving in flood/tropical conditions, but we get bad winter conditions that I have to decide whether or not I will deliver in. I have had a couple of close calls on the highways during deliveries during the winter months, and it is just not worth getting in an accident if the weather is not cooperating! Glad you're safe! thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #22 of 23

Yesterday morning the weather was still OK, so I stopped by the place to check on the cake. They had moved it (grrrr-under penalty of death they were told to NOT TOUCH it) into an old, unworking fridge! It looked OK, though.
I never heard anything from the client, which I think is a good sign, because they were so particular I am sure I would have by now if anything went wrong with it. No news is usually good news.
I was glad I dropped it off before, though, because it got so windy the rain was blowing sideways and it would have been tough to deliver it without it getting wet.

melvin01 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #23 of 23

I was wondering if you got any rain, it didn't rain in Austin or in San Antonio at all this weekend.

100% chance of rain here, so they said. It was a gorgeous weekend here in Austin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%