Monkey Cake

Decorating By jbart Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm by weirkd

jbart Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 12

I would like to incorperate my daughter's favorite monkey into a cake. Any ideas? Here is a picture of the monkey.
LL

11 replies
janelwaters Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 12

Model it out of fondant as the topper. Or you could do the monkey face as the cake.

btw - this is the cutest darn monkey i have ever seen

jbart Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 12

I know it is cute! She named it dizzy. I thought about doing a white and pink cake and ribbon. I have never made a figure out of fondant. any tips

shellzey Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 12

i also like the idea of a topper. then you can make it a keepsake as well. what about doing a little girl figure that looks like your daughter holding the monkey and a number (how old she is)

jbart Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 12

she is 4. to keep it as a keepsake do you have to coat it with anything or will the fondant be enough?

janelwaters Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 12

just take it one part at a time, and this is a good one to start from, think of them all as rounds and then mold from there - the face looks like 2 rounds and then shape them into the monkey - then do the body as a round and then the arms as snakes and the legs as snakes with the feet as rounds etc....

i hope that makes sense - and keep the monkey on the table so you have something to refer to.

HAVE FUN!!!

I think a white cake with pink hearts and the monkey as the topper with a number (age) out of fondant too (snake shaped to number). HOW CUTE!!!!!!!!

toodlesjupiter Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 12

Here is a link to a video on You Tube by Aine2. It just shows how to do a monkey face, not exactly like yours but maybe it will help to see it done.

Anyway... hope that helps a little.

ceshell Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #8 of 12

If you want to keep the figure, may I recommend you use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste, or at the very least put gumtex in your fondant. It will make your life easier when trying to model the figure as it will dry faster with minimal sagging, and will get rock-hard for long-term storage if you use 50/50 (see that Remy in my avatar? I still have him, a year later). Store away from the direct and indirect sun; the red colors (both in its cute little pink toes, and in the brown) will fade in the light.

Fondant modeling is easier than you might think, esp. if you follow the PP's advice. I did it for my second cake ever, it was a bunch of little zoo animals (including a monkey, but he didn't look like yours) and the advice about starting with round shapes is solid, that's exactly what I did and they were easy and fun.

Good luck and have fun!

TooMuchCake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 12

Here's a cake I did that's similar to your toy. There is a pic of it in my photos, but this link also gives you in-progress pictures of it that might help you make it if you wanted to go that route:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Monkey_see.html

HTH,
Deanna

Michelle104 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 12

I love the idea of the pink and white w/ ribbon. You could do 2 layers, the bottom layer pink with brown and white stripes and pink ribbon around the bottom. The top layer could be white with hearts on it like the ones that are on the bottom of it's feet and the same pink ribbon around the bottom of this layer. Then the fondant/gumpaste monkey on top! Ooooohhhh!! This monkey is so cute! I can't wait to see what you do with it!! thumbs_up.gif Good luck!! icon_lol.gif

Bethroze Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 12

When I did a monkey, I used the bear pan and star tipped it. The face and feet were fondant, but they don't have to be.
LL

weirkd Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 12

I have a monkey cake how to from someone on here (sorry, cant remember her name). But I used it to make Boots the monkey for my daughter a couple of years ago. If you want the instructions, I would be happy to email them to you if you would like!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%