What Is Your Best Cake Mix Recipe For Chocolate Cakes?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm by korkyo

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 10

Everyone I've tried has been a bit dry. I have to make a chocolate cake this weekend and I'm looking for a homerun this time.

Thanks!

9 replies
nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 10

I had the same problem until I started using the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. You can find the recipe in the recipe section. It is the only chocolate cake I make now and I get rave reviews on it.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 10

I do not like Pillsbury, but the Betty Crocker Triple
Chocolate Fudge Chip is great. I use it every time and haven't had any problem with it except the holes in the baked cake, which was solved by banging the pan on the counter to make the air bubbles surface.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 10

I love the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe too.

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 10

Just another vote for that Darn Good Chocolate Cake!!! Just made one last night as a matter of fact!! Filled it with whipped choc ganache, fresh strawberries and more ganache on top!!!! YUMMO!! Sadly all we get around here today is the scraps, as it went to work with the hubby!
I do alter that recipe a bit and use ALL hershey syrup and half oil/half buttericon_lol.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 10

I like the 3d durable chocolate cake recipe. I start with the Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Chip box. It comes out fudgy and moist.

The batter will be very very thick. Thicker than brownie mix. Don't worry though, it bakes up beautifully.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 10

I doctor up a duncan hines choc mix by adding some of the things i've seen here before like milk. But I also add 1 tbsp of mayonaise. For some odd reason, when I don't use it, its dry....

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks guys. I'm off to check these out!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 10

I'll also put in a vote for Darn Good Chocolate Cake! I'll never be able to go back regular boxed chocolate cake!!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 10

I do one tablespoon of sourcream per box. If i want it richer I add a touch of almond emulsion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%