Fondant Blending

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm by CristinaB

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 2

Every time I watch somebody professional do cakes or just whatever, everyone says that the warmth from your hands will blend in any fondant seams, or pinholes (from popping air bubbles) or etc. I never seem to be so lucky. Maybe I just have cold hands! icon_lol.gif I watched Mike's Amazing Cakes new dvd and his fondant was amazing, it totally covered up any pinholes, any cracks (mostly) and even the dark colors, the cornstarch seemed to just fade away. Howcome MY fondant won't do any of that? LOL...I use Satin Ice...is there a better one? I don't like Pettinice too well and I used to use FondX but Satin Ice is easier to come by and in larger buckets.

I will say that so far the best fondant I've worked with is the precolored kind...for some reason its very forgiving and my cakes look alot smoother with that stuff (if and when I use it) than with the plain white. Chocolate also seems a little more forgiving too.

1 reply
CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 2

Have you tried making your own? I've made MMF and had no problem with any of the items you mentioned. A friend has also told me that Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe is great to work with too. I'm hoping to make some this weekend and try it. I'll let you know how it goes! I used Satin Ice on a cake recently and definitely wanted to curse it. Oddly enough, the batch that I had to add 8,000 pounds of gel color to was a dream to work with! I don't know if it's drier than other fondants or what. When I used the original color alone, it cracked and dried out VERY quickly. I've also heard that Chocopan is very good. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%