Groom's Cake Ideas Please...i'm At A Lost.

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm by Deb_

Deb_ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,

I'm making a wedding cake for my nephew's wedding on the 27th of this month.

He told me he would take care of ordering a nice topper on-line. Apparantly he loves Underdog/Miss Polly and he saw a nice crystal one. O.k. not my first choice for a topper, but it's his wedding right?

Yesterday he dropped off the topper while I was out. I opened the box, and it is a cheap plastic figurine, that he hot-glued together.

His fiance' phoned and left me a distraught message..."Please don't put that cheap thing on our beautiful cake, tell him it won't fit or won't work". I phoned and told her I couldn't just not use it without telling him first. I suggested I make a groom's cake (adding more work for me now) and she loved that idea. I told her to tell him this and get back to me.

O.k. here's my problem. I'm drawing a blank for a design...I never watched Underdog icon_confused.gif

Any ideas? I'll attach a photo of the topper.

Thanks you guys,

11 replies
crisc23 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 12

How many do you need to feed with the grooms cake?

I would do a 15" hex. Ice it white and do red and blue borders on the top, bottom and verticle lines of the hex. On each side of the hex you could put a color flow or fondant U .... the symbol for Underdog.

Hope that helps!

Joyful1216 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 12

Your story made me laugh icon_smile.gif

Here's an underdog cake (the new underdog), but the city skyline border could be fun!

I always remember Underdog having lightening bolts around, too.

Deb_ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 12

Oh, I'm liking that skyline idea icon_biggrin.gif Do you think that is fondant?

I probably need the cake to serve about 24. I was going to do a small kitchen cake because the wedding cake alone that they chose won't feed everyone, but now that I'm doing a groom's cake, I think we'll ditch the kitchen cake and cut the groom's cake for the additional servings.

I should probably rent the Underdog movie.....what does he do rescue Miss Polly all the time?

7yyrt Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 12
The Underdog collector, comic covers. Should give you some ideas...

aztomcat Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:30am
post #6 of 12

You can find out more about underdog here and see some posters of him for ideas:

When he would go to save Polly Purebred he would always say:

There's no need to fear! Underdog is here!

I think your grooms cake idea is great. Both the Bride and Groom will be happy.

burgderb Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 12

I used to love the old Underdog, hated the movie remake. I remember it as "Have No Fear Underdog is here" It is rather corny but you could change it to Have no fear (nephew's name) is here. We all think our new husbands are superheros that early on in the relationship

Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 12
Originally Posted by burgderb

I used to love the old Underdog, hated the movie remake. I remember it as "Have No Fear Underdog is here" It is rather corny but you could change it to Have no fear (nephew's name) is here. We all think our new husbands are superheros that early on in the relationship

Love this idea, thank you thumbs_up.gif You made me laugh about all of us thinking our husbands are superheroes early on, that's so true!

Thanks to all of you, I definitely have a better understanding of Underdog, the websites were a big help. I'm just happy I don't have to put that plastic topper on my cake design icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 12

Haha I used to LOVE Underdog and Sweet Polly Purebred...hahaha....what memories. I take it this guy is in his early 30's....

Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 12

Yup, he turns 31 in November. He has a tattoo on his arm of Underdog too icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

mommyle Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 12

Why not make the same topper out of GP??? Or you could do color flow people and have Miss Polly in white on the top of the cake, and with wire have Underdog flying in with buildings in behind!!!! And be honest with him. "Oh, Sweetie, sweetie, sweetie... Ummm... Noooooo... Plastic??? Really??? Noooooo... Sorry..."

Deb_ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 12

lol mommyle.....that's a great idea about the gumpaste....I really don't like this plastic topper either. I am so glad I don't have to use it on the Wedding cake thumbs_up.gif

I love that "flying underdog" idea. I was thinking of making fondant or gumpaste wedding gown/tux for the figurine to make it look more like a bride and groom.
I have to be careful, I don't want to hurt his feelings, I think this topper is the only input the poor guy has had for the entire wedding. (I can see why) icon_lol.gif

I wonder what happened to the crystal one he was supposed to get, that probably wouldn't have been so cheesy looking.

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%