Can You Get An Airbrush Effect Without An Airbrush?

Decorating By patty7276 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 11:12am by patty7276

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:08am
post #1 of 13

maybe a silly question but is there a way to get an airbrush effect if you don't have an airbrush? i'm thinking i have seen or heard of using something like a spray bottle? has anyone heard of this ?

12 replies
lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:55am
post #2 of 13

Wilton has cans of spary in different colors for an airbrushed effect. Their OK, not as nice as an airbrush though.HTH

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #3 of 13

Hey Patty: Wilton does have spray colors but if you decide to use them, follow directions carefully. Keep the can 6-8" away from the surface and don't allow the colour to build up in any one spot too much. The first time I used this product I did that and it resulted in the colour "beading up" so that it looked like drops of coloured liquid on the surface.

HTH

Anna

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 13

It's hard to give you any suggestions w/o knowing just what effect you are wanting to copy.
The canned color is about the best suggestion.....

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It's hard to give you any suggestions w/o knowing just what effect you are wanting to copy.
The canned color is about the best suggestion.....

Definitely give a little more info on what you're trying to achieve. If it's an all-over airbrushed color you want, then you can probably get away with canned color, but if you're looking for any type of precision, then that will be a no-go.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 13

In my photos, there is a Happy Feet cake that was airbrushed with the canned color. If that's the effect you're looking for, those are really nice. But, as others have said, follow the directions on the can so you don't get blotches or drips. I can't see using them for any kind of detail unless maybe you have a large stencil, though.

Deanna

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 13

I bought a can of Wilton black spray color and tried it out on a paper plate first. I thought it smelled really strong of chemicals and was afraid it would make the icing taste bad so I didn't use it on my cake.

For those of you who have used the Wilton spray before, is it just the black that has a smell or is it all of them? Does it affect the taste?

Just wondering...

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 13

I bought wilton black spray and it did not work well at all. I didn't notice a smell but it was worthless for my purpose.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 13

Airbrush is still on my top 10 wish list, so I usually paint on my lightest base color and then shade with dust or a food safe chalk so that I can fade out the dust colors, or blend them together for a softer finished product.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 13

I didn't think it was too difficult to get a good effect with the spray. You just need to be careful and spray VERY lightly, masking off any areas you don't want the spray to touch. I noticed the smell, but I think that was just the propellant. I was not aware of any change in taste, but I did not use much spray at all.

http://www.sugarfrosted.com/displayimage.php?pos=-742

Just a note of caution: If you do decide to use the can spray, be sure to cover your surfaces all around. The overspray makes a BIG mess. The first time I used it, I wiped red color off of everywhere in my kitchen for ages. Now I have a giant cardboard box I use for a "spray booth" whenever I use the spray. I cut the box all the way down to the base on two corners so that the one side could lie flat on the table. The end result is a 3 sided box to contain most of the overspray, and a flat part to protect the table. I still use newspaper on the table too.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 13

I have to agree that I noticed a smell as well. I really don't like those cans! In fact the last time I tried using one, I ended up throwing them all away! Don't like and if you even come close to touching after you have sprayed!! Marks are left! Maybe I am just not doing it right but I won't be using anytime soon!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #12 of 13

even using an airbrush..... you have to be careful , not to touch anything on your cake... it will show... the lady with the dora cake... with the green wilton spray... looks really great.... that is how it would look with an airbrush.... just be careful and do what the directions say.. i usually put newpaper around my area also. and sorta cover anything you don,t want sprayed on cake with a thin paper towel or so... i haven,t used the wilton spray... i taught myself how to use the airbrush 12 years ago... using frances kuypers methods and carol faxons methods.... they have books out on this .. and roland winbeckler.. what i am saying is... use the wilton spray.... you.. might like it where others have said they didn,t... we are all different and we all like different things... right?hth

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:12am
post #13 of 13

thank you all for your suggestions. i am looking for a solid even finish, not so much detail work. maybe i'll give the wilton cans a practice run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%