Stinky Gumpaste!

Decorating By CambriasCakes Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm by cakerygirl

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #1 of 7

So about a month ago I decided to be ambitious and made a bunch of simple gumpaste flowers and other shapes. Once they were all dry I put them in an airtight container to use for another time. Well, yesterday my sister called me and asked if I happened to have any spare decorations for a cake she was making for her neighbor. I told her I did but when I took them out....they were really stinky!!! I had to throw them all away because I would never put them on a cake the way they smelled! What the heck happened?? Has this ever happened to anyone?

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:32am
post #2 of 7

I never store the flowers in an airtight container. Just something to protect it from dust and light. I am not sure what caused the odor, but it was probably being closed in the container.

CambriasCakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 7

Hmmm....weird! Thanks for your response, I'll won't put them in a container next time and see if that helps.

Alisha

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Alisha,
I just made some gum paste for the first time and it stinks right off the bat! I thought it was just me thinking that...hummm....I'm sure it's the gum tex because it stinks in the can. But what can be done? icon_rolleyes.gif

I also found that mine is super duper soft and won't even hold the shape. I guess I did something wrong. I've let it set in a bag for a couple weeks now so maybe I'll try again.

KimAZ

CambriasCakes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 7

Oh hey Kim!

I use the pre-made Wilton stuff and haven't noticed that it stinks in the bag...I tried the mix but like you said, it was very soft and never really dried completely. I ended up chucking it!

A certain cake supply store here now carries Satin Ice gumpaste...I think I'll give it a try and see if maybe it's just the Wilton brand that stinks!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:13am
post #6 of 7

I've used Wilton brand gumpaste a few times and I find I ALWAYS have to add extra sugar to it inorder for it to not be mooshy and it's always kind of grainy feeling... maybe we're just mixing it wrong?

cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 7

I have used the wilton premade and the canned mix. You need to add another 1 to 2 teaspoons of gumtex tothe canned mix and then it works much better. The premade is usually grainy but if you knead a little shortening into it it will soften up and become smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%