Dutch Processed Vs Regular Cocoa

Baking By JennaB Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 5:42am by Honeydukes

JennaB Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make chocolate roll out cookies today and have a question. One recipe I'm looking at calls for dutch processed cocoa, the ohter that I usually use calls for regular cocoa. If I subbed regular for the dutch processed in the first recipe would it matter?

I have to make 8 doz. of thses cookies for free so dutch processed is not in the budget.

Anyone know?????

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 5

I have subbed one for the other in several recipes with no significant problems. Dutched is generally darker, but not necessarily stronger in flavor.

The 'experts' may say not to mix them, but I think it depends on the recipe. Most Cake and cookie recipes tend to be more flexible for substitutions.

JennaB Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 5

indydebi, thanks for the info, I will definately stick to the recipe that uses regular cocoa. I'm looking for a richer chocolate taste in the cookie though so I might sub some of the vanilla ext for choc syrup and see how it turns out.

Honeydukes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaB

indydebi, thanks for the info, I will definately stick to the recipe that uses regular cocoa. I'm looking for a richer chocolate taste in the cookie though so I might sub some of the vanilla ext for choc syrup and see how it turns out.

Hershey's makes a DP cocoa that isn't much more $$ than their regular cocoa. Another option is Nielsen-Massey chocolate extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%