Regular Butter Verses Unsalted

Decorating By Ariginal Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 5:55am by Ariginal

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, excuse my ignorance and its not like i am new at this but i was wondering if anyone can tell me what difference there really is in using unslated butter in a recipe instead of regular butter?

I see so many recipes that require unsalted butter and wonder why this is apart from the fact that unsalted is way more expensive than regular butter. I have often replaced the unsalted butter with Margarine instead doesnt seem to affect it at all still tastes fab and then people with dairy allergies can eat it without concern.

So anyways i would love to hear from anyone who can clear this burning question for me thanks in advance.

6 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 7

I think the primary reason is to control the salt content of whatever you're baking. I know sometimes if it's all I have, I omit the salt in the recipe and it generally has turned out fine-can't remember a time it didn't to be honest. But I think that may be about the only difference. I know one time watching Ina Garten on tv, she mentioned about controlling the salt as well.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 7

From what I have heard, and I am still new at this so I could be wrong, but by using the unsalted butter, you can better control the salt in your recipes. However, I have also heard that if you have to use salted butter, you can either cut out or cut down the amount of salt you put in. Hopefully one of the baking geniuses will have a better answer for you, as I'm sure there are other reasons for it as well.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 7

In most recipes, you can get away with either one, especially when you save a LOT buying it on sale and freezing it.

Salt is also a preservative, so be sure the unsalted butter you buy is fresh.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:48am
post #5 of 7

most of the recipes i see that call for unsalted butter, have salt as one of their ingredients. so, i don't know where they are controlling the salt in the recipes.

however for SMBC, i've read a lot of replies here that it tastes a lot better with unsalted. unfortunately it isn't easy finding unsalted butter where i live, the closest i can get is reduced salt butter. and even that isn't available all the time.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

most of the recipes i see that call for unsalted butter, have salt as one of their ingredients. so, i don't know where they are controlling the salt in the recipes.

Even though there is salt in the recipe you still have ultimate control over how much goes in. There is no way to know exactly how much salt is in your butter, so if you use unsalted and add your own measurement, you are, therefore, controlling the amount of salt in your recipe. You can use salted when unsalted is not available but you definitely need to watch how much additional salt you add, if at all.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:55am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your input.. can you now tell me of a cake recipe that calls for salt...? i havent yet come across one hehe... not that i know of anyways.

Mudcake for instance states unsalted butter but as i said before it is too expensive so i replace the butter with the margarine or margie pending how you all say it hehe... and the cake turns out lovely...

thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%