Charms? - How Do You Insert Them??

Decorating By Suzycakes Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm by playingwithsugar

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 4

Hello friends --

I am doing a bridesmaids luncheon cake this week and they have given me the charms with the ribbons attached to insert in the cake for the bridesmaids and bride to pull from the cake for their 'wish'.

I have done one of these before - and I did not insert the charms until I had the cake iced in buttercream and smoothed -- then of course I had to patch and resmooth where I had inserted the charms and ribbons. I left the end of the ribbon tied in a bow sticking out of the sides of the cake for them to grasp. I inserted them in between the 3 layers of cake.

Is there an easier way that I am just not thinking of? Surely there is!

Any help or suggestions would be SOOO greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance -

Suze

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 4

I have only seen them placed under the bottom layer of cake, along the perimeter of the top tier.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 4

I'm not sure I am following you Theresa.

I am making a 1 tier - 3 layer heart shaped cake -

Are you saying place them under the bottom layer only? Do I put them there before icing or try slipping them in after smoothing the icing?

Thanks again for your time and assistanceicon_smile.gif

Suze

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 4

I have only ever seen them used at the wedding, not at a bridesmaid's luncheon. The top tier was suspended on pillars, and the charms were inserted between the cake board and the cake plate of the top tier. The ribbons cascaded about half-way down toward the second tier.

I am not familiar with them being used at any other time during the course of a planned wedding.

Will you be displaying the cake on a cake plate with a pedestal? If so, you can do the same - just put them between the cake plate and the cake board.

Otherwise, you will have to insert them as you did before.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%