How Do I Make A Gumpaste/fondant Palm Tree?

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm by Bossy

aprilcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I have seen many varieties of palm trees on cakecentral and love them. I am doing a sweet 16 cake tonight and its a small three tiered cake with fondant and a waterfall and I want to put two palm trees up top but I am not for sure how to put it together, I figured I could wrap brown fondant around a dowel rod and make marks in it and then cut out big palm leaves and cut little slits going down each side but my problem is figuring out how to connect the two together and keep them secure...HELP!! Thanks so much!

3 replies
jen1977 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 4

I made my palm leaves with an oval cookie cutter. My husband bent it into the shape I wanted, I rolled gumpaste thru my pasta roller pretty thin, then cut them out. I cut the slits in the sides and laid them in different ways over flower formers to dry so they had some movement. I attached them to the top of the trees with a small bit of gumpaste.

have_your_cake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 4

you can also use RI for glue. I've seen the large pretzel sticks as trunks and they look cute.

Bossy Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 4

I rolled gumpast out on a cel board, cut the lronds with the groves of the board down the center and slid in paper wrapped foral wire. I sliced into the cut the blades of teh fronds and laid them over the long 1/2 rond flower formers to dry with the wires bent at a 45 degree angle hung over the end of the former and table. Put a straw in the top of the trunk and just slid the fronds in, using a little gumpaste to keep them from rotating all around. My tree was large (just the tree served 10), so you may be looking for something more simple. It's in my picks. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%