Need A Mentor!

Decorating By myheartsdesire Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm by indydebi

myheartsdesire Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 17

How do I get started on a home cake business? Ijust know thats what I want to do, i know nothing else. Ive done a few cakes already. Im getting good, but i need some advice. icon_sad.gif

16 replies
Win Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 17

Welcome!

So many wonderful people will be willing to advise you and provide inspiration here on CC!

First, you need to look into your state's cottage industry laws. It might be that you are not allowed to bake in your home without first meeting rigid requirements outlined in your state's food industry guidelines.

Start there... it will save you a lot of aingst down the road if you do it the right way from the very beginning.

May you be blessed as you follow your dream.

Win Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 17

Welcome!

So many wonderful people will be willing to advise you and provide inspiration here on CC!

First, you need to look into your state's cottage industry laws. It might be that you are not allowed to bake in your home without first meeting rigid requirements outlined in your state's food industry guidelines.

Start there... it will save you a lot of aingst down the road if you do it the right way from the very beginning.

May you be blessed as you follow your dream.

justsweet Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 17

First if you let us know what state you are from then people from that state can help you.

California - no way you can have food business from home.

here is the link for all states: also if you to 'ARTICLES" at top of page lots of stuff to help with cake decorating and link to the states business stuff>

http://www.cakecentral.com/article57-US-Wanting-to-start-a-Cake-Decorating-Business-but-where-do-I-begin.html

good luck

myheartsdesire Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 17

I live in Arkansas.

panchanewjersey Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 17

Well I live in Cali and then how do most people work from home making cakes? I have heard of some sucessful bakers from home. But haven't asked how they've done it. Do you own a bakery justsweet?

Juny1980 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 17

What are the laws in FL?

SugarFrosted Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:02am
post #8 of 17

Hello Teresa, I'm in Little Rock! Welcome to CC! There is an abundance of knowledge here. Just ask and someone will help!

There are a number of Arkansas bakers here on CC.

I have been baking for family and friends and friends of friends for 20 years. I don't have a separate kitchen. I know a bunch of people who sell cakes "under the table." I can't advise you whether or not to do that, but if you want to be legal, do it the right way, and get the right answers from the people who enforce the rules.

After pretty extensive search, I never found anything to indicate any sort of home-based bakery is allowed. There was a list created a while back concerning which states allow that, and for Arkansas the answer was "no!"
You'd need to call the health dept to find out the regulations regarding a separate-kitchen situation. I recently checked the rules for the Farmer's Market here and discovered you can't even bake for that from a home kitchen. They have very strict requirements.

I'm happy to help you any way I can, even if only an ear to listen.
Just ask!
Anna

indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Well I live in Cali and then how do most people work from home making cakes? I have heard of some sucessful bakers from home. But haven't asked how they've done it. Do you own a bakery justsweet?

You might touch base with the California CC'ers on here, but from what I've read, Calif and Florida are ranked as the most strict on this stuff. The "successful bakers from home" that you've heard of .... do you know for a fact that they are legal? Or are they "flying under the radar"? If you're in Calif, I'd be very careful.

justsweet Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

They do it illegal, they are a lot of rules and regulations for CA. If you get caught the fine I was told can range from $2,000 to $10,000. Someone here was looking in to it and she would have to spend $50,000 or more just to get a place up to code. You can look for pizza or bakery that went out of business because they will have mostly everything up to code or you can look for a rental kitchen.

I do not own a bakery I just to my kids and family cakes for parties and holidays.

janelwaters Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:46am
post #11 of 17

The only way that you can bake from home in Florida is if your kitchen space is not in any way connected to the living space. So basically you can build a seperate kitchen as a seperate building on your property to get it licensed.

You also have to take a class and be a licensed baker and bake from a licensed kitchen. It is a total PITA!!

I really want to "bake for real" but I don't have the $$$$$$ to do it either.

Where in FL are you??

Juny1980 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

The only way that you can bake from home in Florida is if your kitchen space is not in any way connected to the living space. So basically you can build a seperate kitchen as a seperate building on your property to get it licensed.

You also have to take a class and be a licensed baker and bake from a licensed kitchen. It is a total PITA!!

I really want to "bake for real" but I don't have the $$$$$$ to do it either.

Where in FL are you??

Hi Janelwaters,

I'm in Kissimmee (near Orlando) - Mickey Town!

janelwaters Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:02am
post #13 of 17

Lucky girl!! We just took a week trip to disney (during ICES) - we had SO much fun!!

I am desperate to find a kitchen to rent or someone to go into business with. Everytime someone new tastes anything (cookies, cakes, brownies etc.) that I make they ask where my bakery is. It just kills me to say - I don't have one.

Good luck in your pursuit! I hope you have better luck finding a location that I have had.

jessfmaldonado Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:38am
post #14 of 17

Hey Janelwaters,

Try commercialkitchenforrent.com. There are a few here in florida that you can rent a space!!!! I found about a half hour from me but havent dont it yet. She was really reasonable with the price though!!!

Hope that helps,

Jessica icon_smile.gif

p.s. I would love someone to go into business with too!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

janelwaters Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #15 of 17

I keep checking that site, but there isn't anything near me - I look constantly on that site and I have been checking all the real estate sites too - I guess when the time is right I will find a place - I just have to believe that for some reason, now is not the right time for me.

myheartsdesire Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 17

well, what am I supposed to do then? I can't open a bakery until I have a name in my area, id like to make money at it, though. It's expensive!

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #17 of 17

Teresa, the food industry is a terrible catch-22. When I was shopping for my biz loan, imagine my frustration when I was told .. basically ....

You can't get a loan to open your business until you've been in business 3 years. You can't be in business until you have a legal kitchen, which you can't afford without a big biz loan, which you can't get until you've been in biz 3 years, and you can't be in biz without a legal kitchen ..

Banks want to see a track record in sales, which you techically can't have until you've been in business for awhile, which you can't do without a legal kitchen, which you can't have without a loan, which you can't get without having a 3-year sales track record.......

bah-DEE, bah-DEE, bah-DEE, that's all folks!!
dunce.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%