Something Everyone Will Like

Decorating By tx_cupcake Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 5:01am by indydebi

tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to make a baby shower cake for a co-worker's shower next Friday. That's all well and good, but when I asked about the flavors I was told, "Oh, just make something everyone will like, but not chocolate".

Um. Okay.

So what would be a cake "everyone will like"? Yellow? WASC? My first thought for icing is SMBC, but does everyone like that? What about a filling?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

9 replies
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 10

SugarFrosted Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 10

Did she say that because maybe someone doesn't like chocolate? Or perhaps the mom-to-be is not a chocolate fan. Is this a surprise shower? If not, ask the mom-to-be her preference. How many will you need to serve? Are you planning a sheet cake or a stacked cake? Yellow cake is always safe, with a vanilla buttercream. I have never met anyone who did not like WASC.
If a sheet cake, you could do half and half of 2 different flavors.
If stacked, you could do one tier one flavor and another tier another flavor.

babybundt Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 10

i like DH french vanilla with a raspberry filling. i do dr. it. use 1 package of french vanilla pudding and an extra egg. it makes a nice firm cake that tastes really great........................laura

Rebelady Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 10

How about yellow cake with strawberries and buttercream? That usually goes over well with most people and good strawberries are fairly easy to come by this time of year! Hope this helps. Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

aswartzw Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 10

WASC cake with SMBC and strawberries?

White chocolate cake with white chocolate SMBC?

gateauxdamour Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 10

French vanilla (cake mix) seems to be a safe bet all around.
Buttercream with a lorann oil such as cheesecake or french vanilla.

And I'm usually a scratch baker. icon_lol.gif This is the combo I go for with the not-so-gourmet-crowd (this group looks at my normal cakes with expressions of trepidation!).

tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 10

I'm planning on a half sheet. It only needs to feed 20 people at the most, but the woman organizing the shower wants mommy to be able to take cake home with her. It's a surprise, otherwise I would ask mommy what she wants.

Thank you guys for the input! Vanilla cake with strawberries and SMBC definitely sounds generic enough to please a bunch of picky ladies. thumbs_up.gif

I think I freaked out a little because this is the first cake I will be bringing to work, and the possibility of getting some extra business is both exciting and terrifying! I just want to make sure that everything goes well.

Thanks again!

TJCanadian Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:47am
post #9 of 10

Coconut Creame cake with a chocolate ganache if you're feeling adventurous.

I do love that one, or a white chocolate cake with chocolate chips and whipped cream

indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:01am
post #10 of 10

Yeah, I'd agree that white/vanilla cake is the safest bet .... when folks pick up a grocery store bakery cake, that's usually what they get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%