Cake Cutting Question

Decorating By Trance Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 1:58am by deliciously_decadent

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

Hi-
Is there a certain way to cut the Whimsical/Mad Matter/Topsey Turvey cakes? It just seems like the slices will be very long cutting it the normal way.
Thanks,
Trance

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 7

"Normal way"?

I make one long cut across all cakes, then make perpendicular cuts from there to end up with rectangular slices.

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 7

Thank You!!

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 7

get lindy smith's book cakes to inspire and desire it tells you everything from the measurements of the base and top to the way to cut it to how to angle and carve it and cover it. it is my bible and trust me i make millions of topsy's (3 four tiers this week alone!!)
but in a nutshell get levell the cake. on the lvelled 'cut section' insert 4 skewers angle one from a 45 degree angle from top to bottom on the other side of that place a skewer at a 90 degree angle about an inch down from top of cake then at either side place a skewer at 90 degree angles about a half inch down form top of cake. this is your cuting guide. run a knife on an angle fom one skewer to the nezt till you have an angled circle then cut through the cake on this line. remove top section place ganache/filling on cake replace top section but instead of back where it came of spin it around 180 degrees so the tallest point of the cake meets the tallest point of the offcut and stick down attach a cake cardboard two inches smaller than the cake to the angled section and carve down on an angle from edge of cake card to bottom corner of your cake. once done turn over and violla! cover as per desired method. as i said get lindy's book it has full colour photo's with description (vailable through amazon books) hope this helped!!!

deliciously_decadent Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 7

oh oops! i thought you meant how to carve the topsy to start with so sorry! i adjusted my cutting charts so that the tall side has taller thinner slices and the short side has shorter fatter slices

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

get lindy smith's book cakes to inspire and desire it tells you everything from the measurements of the base and top to the way to cut it to how to angle and carve it and cover it. it is my bible and trust me i make millions of topsy's (3 four tiers this week alone!!)
but in a nutshell get levell the cake. on the lvelled 'cut section' insert 4 skewers angle one from a 45 degree angle from top to bottom on the other side of that place a skewer at a 90 degree angle about an inch down from top of cake then at either side place a skewer at 90 degree angles about a half inch down form top of cake. this is your cuting guide. run a knife on an angle fom one skewer to the nezt till you have an angled circle then cut through the cake on this line. remove top section place ganache/filling on cake replace top section but instead of back where it came of spin it around 180 degrees so the tallest point of the cake meets the tallest point of the offcut and stick down attach a cake cardboard two inches smaller than the cake to the angled section and carve down on an angle from edge of cake card to bottom corner of your cake. once done turn over and violla! cover as per desired method. as i said get lindy's book it has full colour photo's with description (vailable through amazon books) hope this helped!!!

Sounds like a Physics or Calculus problem icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #7 of 7

thats what i thought to when i first read the instructions lol!! but ince you do it it is sooooo easy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%