Need Help !!! Asap Please Please Please!!!!!

Decorating By apetricek Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm by deliciously_decadent

apetricek Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I am making a golf cake for this coming Saturday. It is to be a 3D golf bag. The customer wants golf clubs coming out the top of the cake. I am not having a problem making them, but have no idea the best way to do the silver? ANYONE CAN HELP ME TO COLOR FONDANT SILVER? Any suggestions or tips I would love and appreciate! thumbs_up.gif One thought I had was to make them gray and airbrush silver over???? Please help I have to make these tonight! THANKS!!!!!!

9 replies
PinkZiab Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

One thought I had was to make them gray and airbrush silver over????

There you go!

dominique26 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 10

You can also paint the fondant with Luster Dust mixed with vodka.

melvin01 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 10

I'd just make them white and use the silver luster dust mixed with either lemon extract or vodka.

I've done that before and you have to use a decent amount of silver (or let it dry and coat more than once), but it can work, too.

If you're making them gray, spraying silver should work easily, too. Probably will work the best.

DianeLM Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 10

Tinting grey and painting with silver HIGHLIGHTER dust will give you the best metallic silver effect. Silver luster dust mixed with alcohol will also work great.
LL

kimblyd Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 10

Ditto what Diane said.

thumbs_up.gif

apetricek Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 10

DIANELM..... did you make this cake you attached here? If so did you just make the clubs out of fondant, and attach to dowel? That is what I had planned to do, also thought of making a driver out of RCT, and then covering in fondant. This is similar to the cake that I have to make, except it is going to be on two tiers that are green like turf, with balls etc. Thanks any help would be great!

DianeLM Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, I made the cake in the pic. I made the clubs from fondant and actually attached them to lollipop sticks rather than dowels. Much easier to color!

On my cake, the bag is 4 layers and it's sitting on a single layer 'grass'. Does it look really squatty to you? Or is it just the way the pic came up on my computer?

apetricek Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 10

no I think it looks great...I planned to use 4 8"or maybe 6" and then stack them on a 12 and a 14. I also was going to make a pocket on each side, so that is why I thought maybe switching to the 6". Everyone is always more critical of their own work, but I think it looks great and turned out awesome. I hope these clubs don't give me too much trouble. Thanks for your advice..it is nice to get the help of others! icon_biggrin.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 10

If the club heads are not designed to be eaten you can use silver powder, wjile not edible as such it is completely non toxic and can be used in food in parts that wont be eaten it gives a proper metalic finish apposed to the effect you get from lustre. looks similar to lustre in appearence but its coverage is thicker and shiner. i love it and i use it for all my golf club heads and other accents that aren't going to be eaten (I seem to do a lot of golf themed bride and grooms -this weeks is a bride in a bikini holding a golf club, wich is basically a piece of florist wire with a white blob of fondant on the end which is brushed with silver dust so easy!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%