Cookies For Dummies

Baking By redhare Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm by redhare

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 12

Dummy being ME! My dd's preschool doesn't allow cakes OR cupcakes for birthdays BUT they do allow homemade cookies. I was crushed I had all these cute cupcake ideas in mind. Now I could just bake regular cookies and send them but well I know my dd LOVES to decorate (she's following in my foot steps) SO I thought maybe we could try our hand at the beautiful cookies y'all create, but I am CLUELESS! I have NO idea what is the best cookie recipe to try do y'all just use bc icing or what do y'all use? I'm not asking y'all to reveal your busness secrets or anything I just want to create something special for my dd and maybe even give us another creative outlet to do together that maybe even my ds would like too. Maybe another addiction wouldn't be so bad either HAHAHAHA

11 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 12

Connie: I think flowers or smiley faces are the best for a preschooler to help with, you can get so creative! Seems most people use no fail sugar cookie, and royal icing or toba garrett's glace, or both. You're probably familiar with fondont, a lot of smart cookies here on CC use that, it's beautiful, and your preschooler would have fun cutting it out.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 12

Simple is best for kids. And nothing is simpler than using the molds from SpinningLeaf to make chocolate covered Oreos. Lots of different patterns to pick from.

For sugar cookies, I agree with shiney. You could even do the smiley faces by drawing on the faces with food decorating pens once the icing has set.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 12

Smiley faces is a great idea! A royal icing recipe that a lot of people here use is Antonia74's Royal Icing recipe. You can find it here on CC. I love it! Have fun!

redhare Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks, I appreciate your input!

Gemini chocolate covered oreo's YA those wouldn't make it out of my house I'd eat them all LMAO I LOVE oreo's LOL...

I have printed the no fail sugar cookie and the Antonio74 RI recipes. I have until November so I can do a few practice rounds.

Both my kids LOVE to help decorate cakes and REALLY love to use mmf SO I will probably add mmf to the cookies just b/c they love it. Plus what kid doesn't love pure sugar LOL...

I really appreciate your help! Now to see what I can create!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 12

(your avatar is adorable - reminds me of wallace and grommit - though the big bunny looks how I feel.)

I wonder why they allow cookies but not cupcakes? We have to have "healthy snacks" and have to inform them in advance so they can work it into the "snack schedule."

Definitely the NFSC! It's awesome. And having the kids help out is great. My two love to eat the icing...I mean, decorate with me. Perhaps a simple design they can copy and use m&m's for eyes? or something similar.

I have to hide stuff for them to make it out of the house whole! DH ate the all the ganache centers I made for chocolate stout cupcakes for HIS birthday party! Grr.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 12

Smiley face stars are popular at the schools I work with! Your kids could cut different colors of fondant with the same cutter the cookies are done with and then draw on the eyes and smile with food marlkers. I'm sure you come up with something cool!

redhare Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

(your avatar is adorable - reminds me of wallace and grommit - though the big bunny looks how I feel.)

I wonder why they allow cookies but not cupcakes? We have to have "healthy snacks" and have to inform them in advance so they can work it into the "snack schedule."

Thanks, my avatar represents me and my 2 kiddos!

And they allow cookies and not cupcakes b/c of the mess issue. They have assigned every birthday a day to celebrate already so they know in advance what days will be birthday days.

I'm really excited to try - I have admired all the cookies on here for so long w/ no REAL reason to try but now I have a REAL legitament excuse (dh can't fuss LOL)...

I'll probably make a batch next week or so just to try and try a few different shapes and stuff to see how I do! LOL

Any tricks of the trade that I should know about? I saw that y'all outline then let that dry before filling in the middle part - how long do you let it dry?

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 12

Couple things that helped me learn sugar cookies -

1. make sure your oven is totally preheated
2. bake on parchment paper or silpat
3. make sure your cookie dough is cold
4. most important - make sure your cookie sheets are completely cooled before "reloading".

those things will keep your cookies from spreading into big globs.

I outline and let dry for a few mins (15) and then I fill and let that dry for a good while (45 mins to an hour). then I go back in and do the detail work - adding eyes or extra lines or whatever. toba's glace recipe takes a very long time to dry - but it is really good. Antonia74's recipe is good and dries pretty fast.

good luck and have fun!!! I can't wait until my dd is old enough to decorate with me!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #10 of 12

Ah, that makes sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Duh!

You can use cut shapes in fondant and lay them on the warm cookies and they'll adhere. Very simple for kiddos to cut out shapes! icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:42am
post #11 of 12

I use an icing almost identical to Toba's Glace. I outline with a #4 tip for large areas, #2 for small areas and I immediately fill in with more icing, using a zig zag pattern. I then use an off-set spatula to spread and smooth the icing. I go back with thickened icing to do the details once the icing has set. I haven't used them myself, but many people think that using squeeze bottles is the way to go when letting kids decorate. The MMF would be a great idea for less mess, though!

redhare Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 12

awesome thank you so much for welcoming me into your cookie world! I really appreciate it I can NOT wait to make up a batch now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%