Does Anyone Know How She Made These Baby Blocks?

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm by regbevjon

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 19

Here is the blocks..I have a birthday cake to complete and i need blocks that spell out the childs name. I need the least time consuming method..HELP!!!
LL

18 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 19

I can't see the picture.

sweetcravings Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 19

Hmmm I don't know why that didn't work...here is the link to the picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbyashley/552442765/in/set-72157600364966997

Hope that works

sweetcravings Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 19

Well i think i may have answered my own quesiton with some internet searching. I found some similar chocolate molds at country kitchen.

My problem now is i don't need the word baby on it but the childs name. I wouldn't be able to customize it with that mold. Is there something else out there that would work similarily?

I think i'm dreading making the baby block suggestion right about now.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 19

It looks like they're made out of gumpaste or something hard like that and assembled.

I'd go with gumpaste and not cake so they can have it as a keepsake afterwards. Plus you can prepare ahead of time!

I'd just make all the sides flat and make uniform strips to go along the edges. I'm not sure how they did the ridges on the top, but maybe just use a little water to adhere strips to the top. Very cute picture!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 19

You could make the blocks using gumpaste, but that takes time to dry. You said you need something to do quickly, so I would suggest cutting squares of cake to the size you need and either ice them in butter cream or cover with fondant. HTH

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 19

Maybe small alphabet cutters for the letters. I have some that I got at Michaels.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 19

The way I make them is by cutting a cross shape out of fondant with the tail longer. I usually make a pattern out of paper first so it makes it easier and everything is square. Then you want to fold it and make solid creases with something straight. I usually leave on side open and stick it on a box or something that is the same shape to dry. (you can make one out of cardboard but I usually have something like a jewelry box that is that shape I use). Then once its dry you can insert a piece of cake and either decorated it with RI or use cut out fondant pieces. You can use an extruder to get straight piped lines for the edges also and let them dry and cut to size and glue on.
Hope this helps!

missnyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnyc Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 19

How about making the blocks by cutting a sheet cake to size and then use buttercream/fondant/poured fondant to cover them and add babys name using letter cutters and fondant?

CakeComeTrue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeComeTrue Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 19

I would use rice krispies. I made a cube for a cake and just carved it. and covered it with 2 layers of fondant. good luck

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 19

If you dont want edible just use the wilton baby blocks and cover with icing,,,not sure if it would work but would be quicker than baking and carving,,,just a thought. Good Luck

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 19

I have a candy mold that looks a lot like those blocks. My guess is she used gum paste in the mold.

sweetcravings Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by klynne

If you dont want edible just use the wilton baby blocks and cover with icing,,,not sure if it would work but would be quicker than baking and carving,,,just a thought. Good Luck

Ya know..the more i think of it, i am leaning towards this idea. The cake is due in two weeks but i prefer not to spend hours fussing over the blocks, making sure they are all even etc. Time is money. My concern with those wilton blocks is they have the letters on them already..won't that show through the covering? Do i cover in gumpaste or fondant?

The cake is gonna be a 8"round atop a 12"round. The 8" will be set back a bit and the blocks in front of it resting on the 12". I have to spell out two girls names (twins) on these blocks...not sure how i will fit them on there as the 12" is not that large. i thought of stacking them but i'm not certain that will look good.

sweetcravings Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

The way I make them is by cutting a cross shape out of fondant with the tail longer. I usually make a pattern out of paper first so it makes it easier and everything is square. Then you want to fold it and make solid creases with something straight. I usually leave on side open and stick it on a box or something that is the same shape to dry. (you can make one out of cardboard but I usually have something like a jewelry box that is that shape I use). Then once its dry you can insert a piece of cake and either decorated it with RI or use cut out fondant pieces. You can use an extruder to get straight piped lines for the edges also and let them dry and cut to size and glue on.
Hope this helps!

I think i understand your method but i have one question...once you've formed that 'cross' into the block how do you get the corners to stick together? Wouldn't there be a gap at the edges?
I went out and bought some wood blocks that i think will be a good size, i can use that as a drying place for them.

suz

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 19

My vote is either using rice krispies, cake or styrofoam for the blocks.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

My vote is either using rice krispies, cake or styrofoam for the blocks.

Ditto, I would use RKT too! icon_biggrin.gif

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #17 of 19

I think the icing would cover up what letters are on the blocks and since your going to be putting other letters I think it would cover up whats there. I'll be doing a cake tonight and will probably have extra icing so I'll give it a try and let you know what I come up with.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 19

I have the block chocolate mold.Once you make all the flat pieces you glue them together to make them 3D..The ones I have are quite large though...

regbevjon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regbevjon Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 19

I couldn't get it to link to this post, but if you look at my pics, I have one with blocks on it that I free formed out of rice krispie treats and then covered in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%