Sparkling Gold Stars

Decorating By jbrian24 Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm by pottedmeatchunks

jbrian24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbrian24 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I have to make a Hannah Montana cake for a 7 year old girls Birthday party and I want to make some sparkling gold stars on wire that will be sticking out of the cake. If any of you have done these or have ideas on how to I would love to know. I have a couple of ideas, but always welcome the ideas of fellow decerators.

Thanks,
jbrian24

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, you can use fondant, a little bit of cmc/tylose mixed in or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Roll it out and then using a star cutter ( that is what I use ), cut out the shapes. Then dip the wire into a bit of gumpaste glue/ sugar glue and insert it into the star. leave it to dry. When its dry, use a bit of gold lustre dust mixed with confectioners glaze/ vodca or lemon extract. First paint the stars one time and leave it dry completely and then apply another coat.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 4

You could make some small, thin stars from NFSC, sandwich them around the wires and use yellow sugar crystals for your sparkle.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 4

I would cut the stars from 100% gumpaste (thick enough to stick in floral wire but as thin as possible otherwise) and dry brush on super gold luster dust. Attach floral wire. Let dry 12 hours to 1 day, flip them over and dry the other side same period of time. If you look at the ivory wedding cake in my photos, the W's are concave gumpaste plaques and this is the procedure I used. You can also mix luster dust with alcohol but if the gumpaste is still plyable (not dry) theres no need to. The gold will brush right on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%