Which Would Be Better...melted Chocolate Or Candy Melts?

Decorating By Jewelsx19 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm by kimblyd

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 9

Hopefully I can explain this....I am making cupcakes to go with a wedding cake. I want to make two little joined hearts to stand up in the cupcake.
I have the template I want to use, so I plan on making them on wax paper then putting them on the cupcakes.

Which would be easier to peel off the wax paper, and hold up better in the long run....melted chocolate, or candy melts?

8 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 9

Well, chocolate is going to taste better (to me at least, I abhor candy melts), but you would need to temper the chocolate to ensure it sets up properly and doesn't melt too easily. So, if you don't know how to temper chocolate, then candy melts would be the way to go.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 9

candy melts or "almond bark"
Buy the almond bark (no nuts in it and it comes in milk or white chocolate so the name is odd) by the brick at wal mart for like 2 bucks. It is on the top shelf but the cho chips and baking chocolate. Just break of the portion you need and its good to go once you melt it..no tempering needed. Its cheaper and easier to work with than melts and i personally like the taste better

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with PinkZiab. Real chocolate is SO much better than candy melts, but candy melts are easier to work with. It really depends on how much time you have.
Chances are, people will still like the candy melts. I've found a lot of people can't tell the difference - my DH being one of them. To him, it's all "sweet". Go figure.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 9

Hey LetThereBeCake07! Just noticed that we are neighbors. I live in Summerville now but grew up in Hanahan and went to school there.

BTW, I agree that good old chocolate tastes better but for something that small I would just do candy melts or the bark for the ease of it.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 9

I must be the odd one out. For whatever reason, I can work with chocolate, but for the life of me, I cant get melts to melt ! ! ! icon_cry.gif

There was a thread recently, where ppl were very helpful, but, sadly I still wasnt able to get good results. I thought I did a good job but I think I lied to myself icon_redface.gif

Does anyone have any advice? I wanted to try the melts b/c they come in so many colrs and I thought it might just be easier to "nuke" a few for more detail and also, its easier to match the same color if you want to use it again.

Any help would be appreciated. TY

Jessika

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 9

Jessie!

I can help you (for once!) on this one icon_biggrin.gif If you can, go to your local hobby shop or Michael's and purchase the candy melt pot from Wilton. I purchased one 2 years ago and got to do all my holiday candy treats with the help of this pot. All you would have to do is purchase candy melts, place them in the pot on the proper setting and voila, in a few minutes you will have your candy melts at the right consistency to melt or coat whatever you like icon_biggrin.gif

I can temper chocolate well and have mastered the candy melts in the microwave but if you are new to candy melts and don't want your chocolate to seize, definitely try this pot. thumbs_up.gif Good luck!

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 9

If you nuke the candy melts too long they will become hard and grainy. Then you have to add shortening to soften them back up. It's a pain. I have melted them in a double boiler and have had better success than in the microwave.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 9

Jessika,

I keep my candy melts in ziplock bags in the freezer. When I need some I just put the frozen melts in a large glass measuring cup and microwave it on 50% power. I stop it and stir about every 30 seconds. For about half a bag of melts it takes about 5 minutes total.

The only time I have ever had a problem with melting them in the microwave is when I used 100% power. It burned the candy and melted the clear disposable icing bag I had them in. Since I changed to 50% power and a glass container they always melt perfectly.

I also bought a candle warmer the other day with my Hobby Lobby coupon, and found it works great to sit my glass cup on to keep the chocolate melted.

HTH.

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%