What Kind Of Pure Vanilla Extract Do You Like?

Baking By TracyLH Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 1:27am by 7yyrt

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #91 of 100

Good question 7yyrt as I was thinking of making a bourbon vanilla next. I'd be curious to know the answer so if any one has tried it please let us know.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #92 of 100

I definitely only use Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla from Nielsen- Massey. NO there is no alcohol taste at all. Actually to my understanding it is not made with bourbon at all. It is the type of vanilla beans that are called Madagascar bourbon beans. It is where it comes from. The extract is made with regular alcohol depending on the company.

HTH,

Jessica icon_smile.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #93 of 100

I forgot to add when I make my own vanilla I make it with Vodka and it is soooooo yummy. There is a ratio that you need to have. So many beans per gallon of alcohol. Here is a great site about all things vanilla and vanilla extract!!

http://www.vanillareview.com/

Jessica icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #94 of 100

I dont mean bourbon beans as thats what in my vodka bottle in the picture I mean how would your product taste using vanilla made with bourbon (the one you drink) At the beginning of this thread a link was already posted on how to make the vanilla including the ratio.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:30am
post #95 of 100

Madagascar Vanilla and also Sam's Club vanilla...if I don't want any discoloration (like in white frosting for cakes) I use Wilton's Clear Vanilla.

Biabeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biabeke Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:23pm
post #96 of 100

Nielsen-Massey's Madagascar Bourbon vanilla is the best. I do not scrimp when it comes to buying the best products. Try it and give me feedback. icon_smile.gif

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #97 of 100

Have any of you seen this post from Cooks Illustrated where the RATE vanilla extracts??
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=9978

Quite informative- I haven't got the nerve yet to try the CVS which is rated so high! (but imitation!!!)

Personally I use Kirklands Vanilla from Costco , and also their Madagasgar Vanilla.
I have had problems adding the Madagas. to hot items-(it boils over)
I also can taste the slight bourbony taste in my buttercream, which sometimes is a compliment to the cake I am icing. If I don't want that taste I just use the reg vanilla.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:59pm
post #98 of 100

Soomsone - I saw that review and was surprised the McCormick Imitation came out on top. Really surprised! I guess the one thing I think of it that depending on what we all are doing with it (cakes vice cookies vice fillings) that may make a difference. I have not yet played with comparing them myself, but am happy with the NM Madagascar and being that I got it at a cheaper price in volume than the normal MCormick I used to use, I will keep using it. But sometime I should really test it.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:38pm
post #99 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

Have any of you seen this post from Cooks Illustrated where the RATE vanilla extracts??
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=9978

Quite informative- I haven't got the nerve yet to try the CVS which is rated so high! (but imitation!!!)

Personally I use Kirklands Vanilla from Costco , and also their Madagasgar Vanilla.
I have had problems adding the Madagas. to hot items-(it boils over)
I also can taste the slight bourbony taste in my buttercream, which sometimes is a compliment to the cake I am icing. If I don't want that taste I just use the reg vanilla.

There us no bourbon in vanilla of any kind. Bourbon Vanilla refers to the " Isle de Bourbon" the French/African name for Madagascar. It is your imagination that you taste whiskey.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:27am
post #100 of 100

No, it wasn't my imagination. I had 7 other people smell it during the day, without identifying it first. Each person said bourbon or whiskey... I must have gotten a strange batch, I have never had anything like that before.

Maybe a bootlegger? LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%