Cup Measure Help Fast Please

Decorating By banba Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm by leah_s

banba Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:43am
post #1 of 7

recipe calls for 1 cup milk

do I use my cup measure

or do I measure 8 fl oz


6 replies
Sandy2008 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:01am
post #2 of 7

I would use the cup measure.

amoos Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:06am
post #3 of 7

it doesn't really matter I don't think b/c 8oz is a cup, I think TECHNICALLY if something calls for liquid you should use a liquid measurement, but I've never gone to culinary school and I interchange my measuring cups all the time and I haven't had any disasters yet.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:13am
post #4 of 7

All liquids should be measured with a liquid measure.

banba Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:27am
post #5 of 7

thanks for all the advice.

I am going with liquid measure as when I filled the cup with liquid and dumped it into the liquid measure it was more than 8 fl oz!

Mike1394 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:02am
post #6 of 7

One cup of liquid is 8oz. One pint is 16oz, one qt is 32oz, one gal is 128oz.


leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 7

Ah yes - surface tension. You can pour more milk into a dry measure cup because the milk itself will support some extra weight/volume.

PP are correct. It's best to measure liquids in a liquid measure anddry in dry measures.

And for the trivia fans - there are four foods that weigh the same as their volume measurements.

Whole milk, whole eggs, whole butter, and water.

So if you're weighing ingredients, just use your scale for those four liquids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%