Hurricane Ike

Lounge By suzylynn58 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 3:49am by Launa

suzylynn58 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 49

Well we just got through with Gustav and now Ike is breathing down our necks. I am in SW Louisiana and it's looking like he is slowly moving this direction. Unfortunately wherever he lands it is going to be devastating. I'm sure most of our CC friends along the Texas coast are preparing to evacuate. My area has not yet been given an evacuation order, but I am packed from the last one if we need to go.

Everyone stay safe and keep in touch if possible.

48 replies
Amanda518 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #2 of 49

Yea i am a little nervous only because I have small children the last refresh I did on the map shows it going threw that katy area I am close to pasadena and will probably here an evacuation soon.. I will leave soon no matter what just to be safe because of my kids..ugh i hate the weather..

Launa Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:16am
post #3 of 49

Thanks, Suzylynn58, for thinking of us! We're north of Houston, so we aren't evacuating, but we'll probably go to our church which is opening as a shelter.

I'm waiting to see of my Saturday cakes are going to cancel or not. Hopefully, I'll know tomorrow.

With Hurricane Rita 3 years ago, we were without power for a week, and it wasn't bad, but then I wasn't addicted to CC like I am now!! I may start having withdrawl symptoms....pray for me....or my husband who has to put up with me!!!

xstitcher Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:42am
post #4 of 49

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Keep us posted when you can!

Suzycakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 49

I will be thinking and praying for all of our CC friends in the wake of Hurr. Ike! Be safe, be prepared and keep us posted when you can.

VannaD Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 49

Ill be thinking of all you guys in texas and southwest La, last week we got hit and everyone was thinking of us, now we're thinking of yall. Everyone be sure and check back in when you've returned home or when your power is restored, im thinking of yall

suzylynn58 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 49

So far our parish is not under mandatory evacuation, but that could change it the storm path veers slightly to the north. At this time we are not planning to leave, but if it looks like it could get really bad we will.

We were without power for about 10 days in Rita too, but our family went to Houston for DH's job and they put us up in a hotel. It was very nice to have an escape. Luckily we did not have any damage to our home.

Everyone take care

Amanda518 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 49

I am near Baytown and Pasadena and I am sitting at home scared out of my mind wondering if they are going to call my zipcode next I dont want to be one of those people that causes more traffic for the people whose house will be very damaged but I also dont want to get stuck on the road If i go later or get stuck here with high water.. The way it is looking I think we will be here the whole time. I am running to the store again just to make sure we have enough..

Ugh this is so nerve racking icon_eek.gif Ive slept maybe 3 hours..

susanmm23 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 49

We are way up in east texas and the news is claiming it will still be a CAT 2 when it reaches us saturday evening. we are all stocked up on water and non perishables. the craziest thing is tyler is considered the headquarters for all the evacuees. and yet we are looking at massive flooding and 100 mph winds. but thats what they said with gustav and he missed us completely.

tktexasgirl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 49

Good luck everyone who is riding the storm out and those evacuating. Please keep Me and my hubby in your prayers, we live in Friendswood and we are both police officers in the Seabrook area. We will both be in the Seabrook area during the storm. We have to work and are going in tomorrow night to camp out at the stations. I am worried to death about my dogs, they will be crated in our house for over 24 hours. Hope to talk to yall Sunday or Monday?!?!

Aliwis000 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 49

I am in tomball, NW of houston and we are going to stay and ride it out. I am so angry though, Friday is me and my boyfriends one year ann. And now I wont even see him till Monday or Tues. We have been planning our little celebration for months now its all down the tube. What are the odds of a hurricane coming through on the very day we got together. Honestly......I feel for everyone who had weddings this weekend in HOuston.

Good luck to all staying and drive safe to those leaving! God willing we will all make it through safe!

susanmm23 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 49

yeah one of my good friends was supposed to be getting married saturday in galveston!!!! on the beach......not going to happen now.

suzylynn58 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 49

No mandatory here. People were so aggravated that had to evac for gustav then didn't get FEMA re-embursement and I thnk they were afraid of the backlash. May have been a mistake. I work at the hospital and am scheduled to work tomorrow so will have to stay.

I have to admit I am a little nervous since they are predicting sustained winds of 50 - 60 MPH. Our house is surrounded by pine trees plus we're on the east side which is more prone to tornadoes.

I think I have hurricane fatigue. I am exhausted from watching storms!

Everyone keep in touch and stay safe

suzylynn58 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 49

double post

Amanda518 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:43pm
post #15 of 49

Yea my friend also had a party for this saturday and half of the people we coming from houston up to dallas its a no go now. It was a murder mystery game night we were going to play clue almost but in real life and dress up and everything I was a diva Hope we get to do it a different time now.. thumbs_up.gif

We are leaving and heading up to willis to stay at a friends house probably around 11 or so if the path stays where it is the eye is going right past channelview which is where I live. So i think its better to go ahead and get out. while we can

DebBTX Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 49
Originally Posted by pdgirl120

I am worried to death about my dogs, they will be crated in our house for over 24 hours.

Do y'all have some family or friends that you trust to take care of them?
Are you sure that you would have to crate them?

-Debbie B.

tktexasgirl Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #17 of 49

My neighbor just offered to watch them about an hour ago. I feel much better.

Meemawfish Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 49

God bless you and keep you safe. I will pray for you all. icon_biggrin.gif

alracntna Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #19 of 49

we are in Bryan (an hour from north Houston) we are preparing here for the hurricane. we are not leaving but we do have extra water, food, and batteries. I'm more worried about the tornadoes they are saying we may have. for everyone in Houston, stay safe and get out if you can!

Cakepro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #20 of 49

Well, it's getting a little nerve-wracking here. I've been vacuuming, dusting, organizing, and cleaning like a crazy woman today just to keep from having a nervous breakdown. We are on the south side of Houston, near Pearland, and the winds are whipping around. The sun has set so I need to go put candles and matches around the house. I have washed clothes, dishes, and everything I can get my hands on so now I need to go shower before we lose power.

Please, everyone, say prayers for those of us in this storm's path, especially to keep us safe from tornadoes.

Hugs to everyone!!!

Cakepro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #21 of 49

Oh, I forgot to mention...Debbie Brown has been in town since last week teaching classes (I took one and made a wonderful purse cake and pair of high-heeled shoes! Woot!). Unfortunately, her flight home was canceled, so the last I heard (yesterday) is that she's weathering her first hurricane in a local hotel. I feel so bad for her! I hope someone in the Houston Cake Club (who hosted her stay here for the classes and Day of Sharing) has taken her into their home. I would hate to be alone during this, with family an entire continent away!

Launa Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #22 of 49

Okay, how do you find out about people like her coming to town??? I would have been there in a heartbeat had I known!!!

Yep, I've been cleaning all day, too. I have 3 boys and when we lost power during Hurricane Rita 3 years ago, their room started putting off this interesting aroma after a couple of days!!! icon_surprised.gif We're trying to keep that from happening again this time!! We're putting them to bed now and then all that's left to do is scrub the bathrooms and mop the floors. Glad I have older girls to help!!

So far we haven't had any rain and the wind is just now starting to pick up. The eye is supposed to go over us at 7:00 in the morning. It will be interesting to wake up to the calm!

Cakepro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #23 of 49

If you will go to and sign up for their newsletter, you will get a monthly list of upcoming events. That cake club really has their act together and puts on top-notch events. I love their newsletters.

The club members are some pretty cool chicks, too. icon_biggrin.gif

Launa Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #24 of 49

Thanks CakePro!! icon_lol.gif

Bijoudelanuit Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #25 of 49

You're all in my thoughts... I've been watching the coverage and I can't imagine being anywhere near there... please be safe, I've been thinking of everyone and hoping for all the best...

alracntna Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #26 of 49

we are just starting to get the winds here. they are saying it is going to hit land by 2am cst they are saying we are going to be right in the path of it too. we are just watching the news all night and hopefully we wont loose power tonight. everyone stay safe and keep everyone updated if you can.

Cakepro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #27 of 49

Our power keeps going off and on, off and on. The winds and rain are really whipping up now, but we don't have hurricane-strength wind yet, just tropical storm strength. Freaking Comcast cable has been down for a couple of hours now, though. Go figure.

cous2010 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:21am
post #28 of 49

Hey Folks,

I'm in Spring (North Houston). We're preparing for Ike and have had the news going all day. The wind and rain is picking up outside, but our dogs are safe and we are prepared with lots of water and food. I wish the lights would stop flickering though..makes me nervous.

God Bless everyone south of us...

Denise Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:58am
post #29 of 49

hang in there Sherri. I am keeping up with everything over here in Natchez. The wind is blowing up to 78 MPH in Nederland. UGGHH.

I hope that Debbie Brown is ok. Bless her heart. She is so sweet. I just love her.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:38am
post #30 of 49

Hi, everyone. It's 2:40 a.m. here in south Louisiana. Been watching coverage since we have family in Friendswood and Houston. It's pretty windy here and raining. Lots of flooding in coastal regions, sort of a repeat of Rita.

Hope all of you are safe and don't suffer any major losses.

Stay safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%