So Excited! My First Cheeseburger Cake!

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 2:58am by levinea

shannon100 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #1 of 2

I'm so excited about this cake! It was a very rough start, but I'm so happy with the result. I don't think I've ever been so excited about the final product so far (I haven't made a whole lot of cakes yet.) My husband is using this cake as incentive for his middle school students to study. All 3 grades had a test today, and the highest average class won it. (Very small school!)

I did the Wilton checkerboard pan (because it's new and I just wanted to play with it, and I wanted to do the cheeseburger, so I did both at the same time), and was planning on using the enhanced mix recipe or another extender recipe to stretch out a box mix to make 3 9" pans instead of 2. I pulled out my yogurt (instead of sour cream) and realized I only had about 3/4 cups! So I start going through recipes and trying to figure out what to do. I didn't want to make 2 cake mixes, as I didn't think I would need 2 full mixes.

There's a recipe on the back of the box for the checkerboard pan for enough batter for chocolate and yellow. I was a little nervous to do scratch, as mine never turn out well, but I couldn't go to the store because I didn't have the car today. But then I realized I didn't have any semi-sweet chocolate. (We just moved here from overseas, and we're still in the process of stocking our pantry.) So back to the internet for substitutions. I found something, but it was for 6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, and I needed 4. I had to do some strange math, but I figured out out. So then as I'm putting it in the pans, I didn't have enough yellow, but had a lot of extra chocolate, so my layers are NOT going to be checkerboard. Two of the layers will be, but not the 3rd. (But 7th graders won't care at all! They are just happy they won the cake!)

So my cakes come out, looking kinda funny, but they are good enough. Then I carved the top piece, did a crumb coat, stuck them in the freezer, and eventually finished them. I was just so excited at how it turned out! Thanks for reading my long story about my cake! I just had to share what I went through to get here! I'm just really excited about how this turned out!

1 reply
levinea Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #2 of 2

Great job, the kids are gonna love winning that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%