Got A Little Tear In My Eye! - What Is The Absolute Best ...

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm by janelwaters

janelwaters Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:34am
post #1 of 14

thing anyone has said about your cakes??

My grandmother died when I was in college. It wasn't until I was taking my wilton classes that I remember that she decorated cakes (12 years to remember!). Well I posted some new pics on my Myspace page of my most recent cakes. I just got an email from my Aunt and she said "your grandma would be so proud!" That just makes me so happy and miss my grandma at the same time. I just think she would have had SO MUCH FUN with all the "new toys" in cake decorating. I'm "crafty" - she was an artist! She painted ceramics and china painted on porcelin and decorated cakes etc.... a true Artist!

So what's your "brought a happy tear to my eye" story??

13 replies
cakerygirl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #2 of 14

sorry -

mqguffey Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 14

Both of those stories are so sweet, I'm sheepish to share mine...anyway, here goes.

First is my dad (who, hate to admit it, have always strived to impress) saying he didn't realize I had such artistic talent. Heck, he;s right, i didn;t realize it either!

Second, was a mom telling me that she was telling me that she was at a birthday party recently that when the mom brought out the birthday boy's grocery store Star Wars cake, he said, "No, I wanted a Yoda cake like so-and-so had!" I had made her son a 3D Yoda cake that the birthday boy had seen. I know it's catty, but that made my day!

this-mama-rocks Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 14

I made a 3-tier cake for my youngest son's 6th birthday last year. It was far from perfect, but my intentions were good! So, everybody's singing "Happy Birthday", and I set it down in front of him. Before he blows out the candles, he looks at me with big-saucer eyes and say, "Mama, this is the best day in the WHOLE LIFE!"

aztomcat Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:17am
post #5 of 14

My 21 year old son was looking at some of my cake pictures and reminiscing about his 5th birthday cake. Which was simple with a Monster Truck rolling over a row of matchbox cars. He was telling his friend about it and how he remember how cool it was that after he blew out his candles, I let him turn on the battery powered car and roll over all the cars and the icing and everything.

He is still impressed to this day..........now that brings a tear to my eye!

mkolmar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:21am
post #6 of 14

My mom and I did a surprise birthday party for a family friend turning 80. She wears hats all the time so I made her a hat cake and a few other cakes also. We had a lot of food an people come with a hat theme for the party. Come to find out this was the first birthday party she ever was given. Her family growing up was way to poor so it was just another day to work. When she was married and older (sadly still to this day) no one ever bothered to even buy her a small cake on her birthday. That was 2 years ago and she still talks about how loved she felt that day. I'm no pro but she loved the cake and that made me smile.

FromScratch Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #7 of 14

My kiddos always bring that tear to my eye when they see their birthday cakes. The first not just a plain cake I did for them was my daughter's puppy cake. She has this stuffed dog named puppy.. and she wanted him to be on her cake.. so I made a fondant puppy.. she kept it as Puppy's playmate for a long time until my son bit the ear.. icon_wink.gif.

Then my son's gumball machine cake last year was a big hit with him. He came down stairs and saw it and said in his sweet little voice.. "momma that's sooooo beautiful.." *sniff sniff*

And dd's castle cake for this year's birthday.. I came down to find her in my office just staring at it.. she didn't notice me looking in and the look on her face was just priceless..

Those moments make the hours and hours you put into things well worth it. I can't wait to make my son's cake this year.. he wants a pirate ship.. it'll take forever to get it just right.. but I can't wait to see his face in the morning.

Now you got me all sentimental and sniffly..

SharonK1973 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #8 of 14

It wasn't what she said, it was what she did... my mom and I had a rocky relationship for most of my life. When I picked up cake decorating, things changed. She could spend hours watching me decorate cakes, and she would ask me to show her stuff. We bonded over cake decorating. She just seemed SO taken with what I was doing. I tell people all the time that when she watched me decorate a cake, I KNEW she was proud of me. She died 6 years ago, but thanks to cake decorating, I have many wonderful memories that wouldn't be if it weren't for cake decorating.

cake-angel Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:54am
post #9 of 14

I made a cake for my Grandm's 80th birthday and she gave me a big hug and said with a little tear in her eye that noone had ever done anything so nice for her. She really loved it and I found out later told everyone she talked to about the cake for months (even if they had been there and saw it! LOL). The emotion she had about it really touched me.

The other times I was touched was at my brothers wedding and at my sister's wedding as their wedding cake was my gift to them. I was happy to see how much they loved the cakes. It is kind of strange having a bunch of your aunts standing around taking pictures as you assemble the cake at the reception hall. LOL.

penguinprincess Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:56am
post #10 of 14

What a wonderful post!! I have just started cake decorating and hope to have some wonderful moments such as these! Thank you all for sharing these moments!

nickshalfpint Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:58am
post #11 of 14

SharonK1973, that is such a touching story, it made me cry. That's awesome that cake decorating brought you guys closer. It was almost the same thing with my dad. He was so interested in all my cake adventures. He even came up with different names I could name my shop =) I miss him =(

s_barnes76 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:11am
post #12 of 14

My first one was a cake I did for my cousin's baby shower. It was only a sheet cake, but I was really proud of it. The mother of one of the guests has brain cancer and after the party was over, she (the guest) went in the kitchen with the honoree and cut a large serving of cake. As she was covering it, I heard her say "My mom would love this" I was so touched. Another would be from my son, who is 12 and at that "parents are so uncool" stage. At his 6th grade graduation, they had a cake made by one of the mothers. When I asked him if he ate any, he said "Yes, but it wasn't nearly as good as yours" I also have my m-i-l calling me periodically asking if I've made cake....now THERE'S a compliment!

pastrylady Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #13 of 14

What a great post! Recently my dd's friend called me up to ask if I would make her a cake for her 16th birthday. She said my dd brags so much about my cakes that she decided that all she wanted for her birthday.

My DD even asked me to walk into the party with her and deliver the cake myself---in front of all her friends!!

She now tells me that I'm the least embarrassing member of our family--
icon_rolleyes.gif

janelwaters Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 14

Well you all have given me a lil tear in the other eye too!

I LOVE THESE STORIES!!! Keep em coming, its just so heartwarming to know that it's NOT "just cake".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%