Kosher Cookies?

Decorating By thecook Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm by chutzpah

thecook Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to make my new rabbi brother-in-law sugar cookies. Are nfsc kosher? What about antonia74 royal icing? I've been searching the internet, but am getting more confused the more I read. He really doesn't follow a strict kosher diet except during the holidays, but I know he would appreciate the effort. We are an Irish Catholic family so this is a whole new world for me. Any ideas would be helpful. THANKS.

4 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 5

I think your desire to honor your brother-in-law is wonderful.

The definition of kosher means that the food is fit, or follows, Kosher dietary laws. This is not only defined as using Kosher ingredients, it also means that the food is prepared in a Kosher kitchen, which is full of extra regulations and procedures.

I am not Jewish, but I have several family members who are. They do not follow full Kosher dietary laws (holy days, like your BIL), but try to I honor their faith the best I can, by purchasing products labeled as Kosher when I bake for them. It doesn't make my baking for them Kosher, but expresses love and respect for them the best I can.

One of the best authors on Kosher baking is Marcy Goldman, but I do not know what is in her repertoire. She has a couple of baking books, so you should go to a book store and see what she has in them.

I know there are a couple of Kosher bakers here on CC. Hopefully, they would be able to provide more information for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

redpanda Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #3 of 5

What is/is not Kosher depends on who you ask. I have made NFSC for a friend who is a Rabbi. (The shape sorter cake and cookies in my gallery were for this family.)

Many who keep Kosher won't eat food made in a non-Kosher kitchen, but if your BIL will eat in regular (non-Kosher) restaurants, possibly just eating vegetarian/fish, but no meat/chicken, he's probably OK with food you make at home. The thing to do is look at the individual ingredients to make sure they have one of the Kosher symbols on them.

I'm not familiar with Antonia's icing. I make mine using meringue powder that is Kosher. The only other think to worry about is the icing colors--the ones I use do have the certification.

thecook Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 5

Thsnks. I guess I have to look at my ingredients and go from there. It seems my powder sugar may not be kosher, but I'm not sure.

chutzpah Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 5

Technically, food items prepared in a non-kosher kitchen can never be kosher. Lot's of Jews, however, don't keep kosher, or else they keep kosher at home, but eat out in non-kosher restaurants/non-kosher friends etc. Here are some links for ya... They'll have a list of kosher ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%