Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm by TexasSugar

BakingGirl Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have any good tips on how to successfully bake in this pan. I have just bought mine and my cake was a disaster. The cake baked very unevenly. I cut off the crown and turned out the cake, and realized that the cake was full of ridges and "dents" in lack of a better word. The bottom part of the cupcake baked particularly slowly so the top of the cupcake got pretty burned around the edges.

It was a chocolate rum cake recipe I baked, basically a chocolate cake mix with pudding plus some rum in place of the liquid. I have done this cake in bundt pans without any problem.

Any ideas on how to improve the outcome, or shall I toss this pan in the drawer?

4 replies
mittmitt Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:13am
post #2 of 5

I recently bought the pan as well. I used 1 box of mix and it did not bake to the top, I am going to have to use 1 1/2 boxes next time. The one problem I did have with it, besides it not baking to the top, is that the ake seemed very dry and my cakes never come out dry. I really don't know how to help you with the problem, hopefully next time I use this pan I won't have the same problem as you or even having a dry cake.

s_barnes76 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:29am
post #3 of 5

I have had my pan since Feb., but I haven't used it yet (no idea why). What I would suggest, and I've seen others say this, is to bake each half separately. I didn't really think about how to use it when I bought it, I only saw how cute it was. Otherwise, I might have just saved my money.

HTH

Pookie59 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe lower your oven temp (the pan is pretty dark as I recall) and insert a flower nail to aid cooking?

I thought the pan was cute too, though a bit pricey. Not sure I want it now!

TexasSugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

It was a chocolate rum cake recipe I baked, basically a chocolate cake mix with pudding plus some rum in place of the liquid. I have done this cake in bundt pans without any problem.

The reason the recipe cooked well in your bundt pan is because they have a built in heating core, the tube in the center of the pan. It helps spread the heat more evenly cooking it all about the same.

I'd try again before you give up on the cupcake pan. Either using a heating core or a spare flower nail. Both conduct heat up the middle of the cake pan which will help the cake cook more evenly.

I know when I bake in a 3in pan they always come out a little dark on top because it does take longer to bake that thickness. I drop the temp down to 325 to help with that as well, making it a longer, but slower baking time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%